Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Pietro Paolini

Default Creating and use Virtual IP Interfaces

Hi all,

¬*

I am not really sure this is the correct newsletter¬* for¬* my question, if not please apologize me and suggest me a right newsletter, thanks.

¬*

My goal is to simulate more than one IP interface using just a physical interface, for do that I tried using this alias

¬*

Ifconfing ethX:1 <IP>

¬*

But when I try to send a packet over that interface I see the IP source the same as the original, and real,¬* Ethernet interface. Then I tried to use TAP interface but I was unable to ‚Äúlink‚ÄĚ them with my physical one, I notice them can communicate
each others but can not ping (ping ‚ÄďI tap0¬* <ip real IF>) the original one.

It is still valid if I create a bridge with all them.

¬*

I would like avoid to install many Virtual Box as I need but what I want is exactly what it do: build a new virtual interface and bridge it with a real one in order to have more IP interface attached at one physical.

¬*

Any suggestion ?

¬*

Thanks in advance,