-   -   Creating and use Virtual IP Interfaces (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/705025-creating-use-virtual-ip-interfaces.html)

Pietro Paolini 09-18-2012 09:33 AM

Creating and use Virtual IP Interfaces

Hi all,

*

I am not really sure this is the correct newsletter* for* my question, if not please apologize me and suggest me a right newsletter, thanks.

*

My goal is to simulate more than one IP interface using just a physical interface, for do that I tried using this alias

*

Ifconfing ethX:1 <IP>

*

But when I try to send a packet over that interface I see the IP source the same as the original, and real,* Ethernet interface. Then I tried to use TAP interface but I was unable to “link” them with my physical one, I notice them can communicate
each others but can not ping (ping –I tap0* <ip real IF>) the original one.

It is still valid if I create a bridge with all them.

*

I would like avoid to install many Virtual Box as I need but what I want is exactly what it do: build a new virtual interface and bridge it with a real one in order to have more IP interface attached at one physical.

*

Any suggestion ?

*

Thanks in advance,