FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Alexander Wirt
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

Raphael Hertzog schrieb am Tuesday, den 15. April 2008:

Hi,

*snip*
> Use a recent devscripts
> -----------------------
>
> With the introduction of the new Checksums-* fields in the changes file,
> debsign had to be fixed to also update the checksums in the new fields
> (see #474949). Be sure to run devscripts 2.10.25 or newer, otherwise
> you'll generate broken *.changes files which will be rejected by dak.
>
> The current version of mergechanges is also behaving badly with those new
> fields, it will be fixed in the next version of devscripts (2.10.26).
Aren't the dpkg maintainers able to get such things fixed in advance of
uploading dpkg? I'm still missing an announcement (of course before the
upload) about that "feature". I don't think that such an important package as
dpkg should be handled like this.

*snip*

> dpkg-buildpackage sets default value to CFLAGS, etc.
> ----------------------------------------------------
>
> Since dpkg 1.14.17, dpkg-buildpackage will define the environment
> variables CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and FFLAGS. The goal is to
> be able to easily recompile packages with supplementary compilation flags
> and to simplify the debian/rules files since CFLAGS has the right default
> value (no need to special case for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt).
At first I thought: WTF? Why are such important changes to the build
enviroment not announced and discussed before they are introduced? This - in
my eyes really bad feature - produces many FTBFS, unreproducible builds and
other problems. I think it's a bad idea and it would have been nice to have it
discussed before the upload to unstable (I really hope I didn't miss an
announcement via dda). Additionally it's really really bad timing. Why does
such things have to happen when we are preparing the release?

Again I don't think that a package like dpkg should be handled like this.

Alex


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Andreas Tille
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:


"Someday someone should do this..."
-----------------------------------

Sometimes I stumble on interesting or useful ideas on mailingslists,
which should be done, but the person having that in mind, doesn't have
time to do those. So I came up with idea of a wiki page, where those
tasks could be collected, so that people willing to do some useful work
(for example because they are in NM and need to prove their skills) can
maybe find some.

I've started collecting some on http://wiki.debian.org/NMTasks and would
be happy if you'd also use this page, to collect such ideas (in a form
other people are able to understand) or to pick those ideas and implement
them.

-- Holger Levsen


Good idea. I just added screenshots.debian.org idea that came up on
some discussion at Chemnitzer LinuxTage in March. It would be nice if
somebody would grab this up - at least the idea will not just vanish
now it is stored somewhere ...

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Raphael Hertzog
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Aren't the dpkg maintainers able to get such things fixed in advance of
> uploading dpkg? I'm still missing an announcement (of course before the
> upload) about that "feature".
> I don't think that such an important package as dpkg should be handled
> like this.
[...]
> Again I don't think that a package like dpkg should be handled like this.

If you want to teach us how to maintain dpkg, please join
debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org and subscribe to the git commit notices (PTS
with cvs keyword). It's very low traffic and you'll be able to
comment while things are developed.

Note: mistakes do happen and nobody is perfect. So next time you want to
give some _advice_, make it sound like an advice and not like a complaint.

> > Since dpkg 1.14.17, dpkg-buildpackage will define the environment
> > variables CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and FFLAGS. The goal is to
> > be able to easily recompile packages with supplementary compilation flags
> > and to simplify the debian/rules files since CFLAGS has the right default
> > value (no need to special case for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt).
> At first I thought: WTF? Why are such important changes to the build
> enviroment not announced and discussed before they are introduced?

Would you like to check the bug log before saying such stuff?
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=465282 points to
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/12/msg00090.html
and I fail to see your comments in that thread.

> Additionally it's really really bad timing.

Which is why, while preparing the upload, we discussed it with the release
team:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2008/03/msg00324.html

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Le best-seller français mis ŕ jour pour Debian Etch :
http://www.ouaza.com/livre/admin-debian/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Simon Richter
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

Hi,

> Since dpkg 1.14.17, dpkg-buildpackage will define the environment
> variables CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and FFLAGS. The goal is to
> be able to easily recompile packages with supplementary compilation flags
> and to simplify the debian/rules files since CFLAGS has the right default
> value (no need to special case for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt).

This sounds like a bad idea to me, as it communicates instructions
(CFLAGS) along with intent (DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS). How is a package
supposed to behave if these differ, or even detect that it is asked to
do something that is wonky?

Simon


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Thomas Weber
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

Am Dienstag, den 15.04.2008, 22:58 +0200 schrieb Raphael Hertzog:
> FTFBS on packages build-depending on libqt4-dev
> -----------------------------------------------
>
> If your package is build-depending on libqt4-dev and is currently failing
> to build from sources, please wait for the next qt4-x11 package revision
> before adding a gazillion of build-deps to your package.
>
> -- Sune Vuorela

This isn't helpful for several reasons:
a) Burying this information in a wiki where people may or may not read
it in time (I just reverted a change already done in SVN).
b) What is the current/next revision of qt4-x11 at the time of writing
(ie, is this still valid or already obsoleted)?

Thomas



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Sune Vuorela
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

On 2008-04-16, Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
> This isn't helpful for several reasons:
> a) Burying this information in a wiki where people may or may not read
> it in time (I just reverted a change already done in SVN).

I got the idea of pushing it out when Hertzog was talking about sending
it developer news out - so it was buried in the wiki for like 1-2 hours.


> b) What is the current/next revision of qt4-x11 at the time of writing
> (ie, is this still valid or already obsoleted)?

current is 4.4~rc1-3. Next is 4.4~rc1-4 which is just hit incoming for
amd64 arch.

/Sune


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Roberto C. Sánchez
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:38:16AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> >"Someday someone should do this..."
> >-----------------------------------
> >
> >Sometimes I stumble on interesting or useful ideas on mailingslists,
> >which should be done, but the person having that in mind, doesn't have
> >time to do those. So I came up with idea of a wiki page, where those
> >tasks could be collected, so that people willing to do some useful work
> >(for example because they are in NM and need to prove their skills) can
> >maybe find some.
> >
> >I've started collecting some on http://wiki.debian.org/NMTasks and would
> >be happy if you'd also use this page, to collect such ideas (in a form
> >other people are able to understand) or to pick those ideas and implement
> >them.
> >
> > -- Holger Levsen
>
> Good idea. I just added screenshots.debian.org idea that came up on
> some discussion at Chemnitzer LinuxTage in March. It would be nice if
> somebody would grab this up - at least the idea will not just vanish
> now it is stored somewhere ...
>
This is something that I propsed on January 3, 2007, on debian-devel.
There was a fairly lengthy thread that resulted and Thomas Viehmann even
offered to help. Of course, he and I both became very busy and so it
sort of fell by the wayside. However, I have my projects much better in
hand this year and I intend to resurrect the idea early this summer.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com
 
Old 04-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Holger Levsen
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

Hi Roberto,

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 15:24, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> This is something that I propsed on January 3, 2007, on debian-devel.
> There was a fairly lengthy thread that resulted and Thomas Viehmann even
> offered to help. Of course, he and I both became very busy and so it
> sort of fell by the wayside. However, I have my projects much better in
> hand this year and I intend to resurrect the idea early this summer.

Cool.

I've changed the contact address Andreas put there into "Contact: AndreasTille
or Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> - Roberto intends to work on
it..." - feel free to change further :-)


regards,
Holger
 
Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Andreas Tille
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:


On Wednesday 16 April 2008 15:24, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

This is something that I propsed on January 3, 2007, on debian-devel.


Great!! I did not noticed. :-(


There was a fairly lengthy thread that resulted and Thomas Viehmann even
offered to help. Of course, he and I both became very busy and so it
sort of fell by the wayside. However, I have my projects much better in
hand this year and I intend to resurrect the idea early this summer.


Cool.


Really cool.


I've changed the contact address Andreas put there into "Contact: AndreasTille
or Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> - Roberto intends to work on
it..." - feel free to change further :-)


I decided to change it by removing my name to not blur the list of people
who really intent to work on this.

I would be very happy if there would be some progress on this

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de
 
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Jörg Sommer
 
Default Misc development news (#6)

Hi Simon,

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:
>> Since dpkg 1.14.17, dpkg-buildpackage will define the environment
>> variables CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and FFLAGS. The goal is to
>> be able to easily recompile packages with supplementary compilation flags
>> and to simplify the debian/rules files since CFLAGS has the right default
>> value (no need to special case for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt).
>
> This sounds like a bad idea to me, as it communicates instructions
> (CFLAGS) along with intent (DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS). How is a package
> supposed to behave if these differ, or even detect that it is asked to
> do something that is wonky?

I think the same way as it currently does. What do you do, if the user
sets DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt and CFLAGS=-O2? I think that's not a new
problem.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Es gibt nichts schöneres als dem Schweigen eines Dummkopfes zuzuhören.
(Helmut Quatlinger)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org