-   -   "X-" Prefixes deprecated by RFC 6648. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/703345-x-prefixes-deprecated-rfc-6648-a.html)

Charles Plessy 09-12-2012 11:55 PM

"X-" Prefixes deprecated by RFC 6648.

Dear all,

I would like to share with you the recently published RFC 6648, which
deprecates the use of "X-" prefixes in "application protocols"

BEST CURRENT PRACTICE

Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) P. Saint-Andre
Request for Comments: 6648 Cisco Systems, Inc.
BCP: 178 D. Crocker
Category: Best Current Practice Brandenburg InternetWorking
ISSN: 2070-1721 M. Nottingham
Rackspace
June 2012

Deprecating the "X-" Prefix and Similar Constructs
in Application Protocols

Abstract

Historically, designers and implementers of application protocols
have often distinguished between standardized and unstandardized
parameters by prefixing the names of unstandardized parameters with
the string "X-" or similar constructs. In practice, that convention
causes more problems than it solves. Therefore, this document
deprecates the convention for newly defined parameters with textual
(as opposed to numerical) names in application protocols.

Full text available at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan

Dmitrijs Ledkovs 09-13-2012 12:13 AM

On 13 September 2012 00:55, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to share with you the recently published RFC 6648, which
> deprecates the use of "X-" prefixes in "application protocols"
>
> BEST CURRENT PRACTICE
>
> Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) P. Saint-Andre
> Request for Comments: 6648 Cisco Systems, Inc.
> BCP: 178 D. Crocker
> Category: Best Current Practice Brandenburg InternetWorking
> ISSN: 2070-1721 M. Nottingham
> Rackspace
> June 2012
>

> Deprecating the "X-" Prefix and Similar Constructs
> in Application Protocols
>
> Abstract
>
> Historically, designers and implementers of application protocols
> have often distinguished between standardized and unstandardized
> parameters by prefixing the names of unstandardized parameters with
> the string "X-" or similar constructs. In practice, that convention
> causes more problems than it solves. Therefore, this document
> deprecates the convention for newly defined parameters with textual
> (as opposed to numerical) names in application protocols.
>
> Full text available at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648

Release Goal to purge all references to X from all packages?

Regards,

Dmitrijs