Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
David Prévot

Default Need advice about a package installing no files at all

Hi,

Le 12/09/2012 10:04, Emmanuel Kasper a écrit :

> I don't see anything suspicious in /var/log/dpkg.log, I have no clues
> about what could cause that or where to get a debug mode. Where shoud I
> look for ?

Look at similar bug reports e.g.

Regards

David

Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Rene Engelhard

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 02:17:05PM +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> According to the package description, xmess-sdl is now a
> transitional dummy package depending on the new mess package. In
> fact, the unrelated bug report you linked even mentions that. This
> is how package renames are generally supposed to work.

Still it needs to ship a changelog.gz. Which it doesn't.

Even if it linked to the "real" packages changelog(.Debian(.gz
the name should be correct (it ships "changelog") so that the
valid(!) assumption of zless /usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.gz[1]
works

Regards,

Rene

[1] I think we can assume a transitional package is Debian-only, so
a changelog.gz should be ok here, though a changelog.Debian.gz would
of course be better :-)

Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Emmanuel Kasper

On 2012-09-12 16:04:02 +0200 (+0200), Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
>> After doing an upgrade from debian 6 to 7, the packge xmess-sdl is
>> list as installed but does not contains any file at all.
[...]

> According to the package description, xmess-sdl is now a
transitional dummy package depending on the new mess package. In
fact, the unrelated bug report you linked even mentions that. This
is how package renames are generally supposed to work.

> In short, what used to be xmess-sdl is now in a package called mess
instead. If your upgrade was successful, you should see that package
installed too and that should have actual contents.

Yes mess gets installed too and have actual content.

Maybe I was not clear enough: is it normal that dpkg -L xmess-sdl lists
unexisting files after an upgrade ?

When I do aptitude reinstall xmess-sdl then the package files are really
installed.

Manu
Ps: I am off-list thanks to CC me for further reply !

Old 09-12-2012, 03:04 PM
The Fungi

On 2012-09-12 16:51:35 +0200 (+0200), Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Still it needs to ship a changelog.gz. Which it doesn't.
[...]

Agreed, and someone's already filed a bug on the missing metadata
bits.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);