-   -   Need advice about a package installing no files at all (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/703162-need-advice-about-package-installing-no-files-all.html)

David Prévot 09-12-2012 02:40 PM

Need advice about a package installing no files at all

Hi,

Le 12/09/2012 10:04, Emmanuel Kasper a écrit :

> I don't see anything suspicious in /var/log/dpkg.log, I have no clues
> about what could cause that or where to get a debug mode. Where shoud I
> look for ?

Look at similar bug reports e.g.

Regards

David

Rene Engelhard 09-12-2012 02:51 PM

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 02:17:05PM +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> According to the package description, xmess-sdl is now a
> transitional dummy package depending on the new mess package. In
> fact, the unrelated bug report you linked even mentions that. This
> is how package renames are generally supposed to work.

Still it needs to ship a changelog.gz. Which it doesn't.

Even if it linked to the "real" packages changelog(.Debian(.gz
the name should be correct (it ships "changelog") so that the
valid(!) assumption of zless /usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.gz[1]
works :)

Regards,

Rene

[1] I think we can assume a transitional package is Debian-only, so
a changelog.gz should be ok here, though a changelog.Debian.gz would
of course be better :-)

Emmanuel Kasper 09-12-2012 03:02 PM

On 2012-09-12 16:04:02 +0200 (+0200), Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
>> After doing an upgrade from debian 6 to 7, the packge xmess-sdl is
>> list as installed but does not contains any file at all.
[...]

> According to the package description, xmess-sdl is now a
transitional dummy package depending on the new mess package. In
fact, the unrelated bug report you linked even mentions that. This
is how package renames are generally supposed to work.

> In short, what used to be xmess-sdl is now in a package called mess
instead. If your upgrade was successful, you should see that package
installed too and that should have actual contents.

Yes mess gets installed too and have actual content.

Maybe I was not clear enough: is it normal that dpkg -L xmess-sdl lists
unexisting files after an upgrade ?

When I do aptitude reinstall xmess-sdl then the package files are really
installed.

Manu
Ps: I am off-list thanks to CC me for further reply !

The Fungi 09-12-2012 03:04 PM

On 2012-09-12 16:51:35 +0200 (+0200), Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Still it needs to ship a changelog.gz. Which it doesn't.
[...]

Agreed, and someone's already filed a bug on the missing metadata
bits.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);