Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Emmanuel Kasper

Default Need advice about a package installing no files at all

Hello

After doing an upgrade from debian 6 to 7, the packge xmess-sdl is list
as installed but does not contains any file at all.
( http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=685470 )

(s2w)root@dakar:/# dpkg -L xmess-sdl
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/xmess-sdl
/usr/share/doc/xmess-sdl/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/xmess-sdl/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/xmess-sdl/copyright

(s2w)root@dakar:/# cat /usr/share/doc/xmess-sdl/copyright
cat: /usr/share/doc/xmess-sdl/copyright: No such file or directory
(s2w)root@dakar:/#

I don't see anything suspicious in /var/log/dpkg.log, I have no clues
about what could cause that or where to get a debug mode. Where shoud I
look for ?

Emmanuel

Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
The Fungi

On 2012-09-12 16:04:02 +0200 (+0200), Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> After doing an upgrade from debian 6 to 7, the packge xmess-sdl is
> list as installed but does not contains any file at all.
[...]

According to the package description, xmess-sdl is now a
transitional dummy package depending on the new mess package. In
fact, the unrelated bug report you linked even mentions that. This
is how package renames are generally supposed to work.

In short, what used to be xmess-sdl is now in a package called mess
instead. If your upgrade was successful, you should see that package
installed too and that should have actual contents.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);