Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Alexander Golovko

Default packages, uses dbconfig-common and mysql/postgresql installation order.

Hi!

bacula-director-pgsql package has a bug #605449 - package can be setup
after postgresql installation and dbconfig-common fail to configure
database.

I try to see, how this problem solved in other packages and can't find
answer. For example, roundcube-mysql, cacti, drupal6 not affected this
bug, but roundcube-pgsql, bacula-director-pgsql, bacula-director-mysql,
jffnms - affected.

This is can be simply checked by one of next commands:

apt-get install -s bacula-director-pgsql postgresql
apt-get install -s bacula-director-mysql mysql-server

This is related to apt-get package installation order algorithm and i
don't know how to force mysql and potgresql configuration before
package configuration.

How can be this problem solved?

--
with best regards,
Alexander Golovko

Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Wouter Verhelst

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 02:43:23PM +0400, Alexander Golovko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> bacula-director-pgsql package has a bug #605449 - package can be setup
> after postgresql installation and dbconfig-common fail to configure
> database.
>
> I try to see, how this problem solved in other packages and can't find
> answer. For example, roundcube-mysql, cacti, drupal6 not affected this
> bug, but roundcube-pgsql, bacula-director-pgsql, bacula-director-mysql,
> jffnms - affected.
>
> This is can be simply checked by one of next commands:
>
> apt-get install -s bacula-director-pgsql postgresql
> apt-get install -s bacula-director-mysql mysql-server
>
> This is related to apt-get package installation order algorithm and i
> don't know how to force mysql and potgresql configuration before
> package configuration.
>
> How can be this problem solved?

You should make sure the database configuration is done in
bacula-director's postinst. That will ensure the director is not
configured until all its dependencies have been.

the following formula:

pi zz a

Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Vincent Danjean

Le 16/09/2012 09:00, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 02:43:23PM +0400, Alexander Golovko wrote:
>> This is related to apt-get package installation order algorithm and i
>> don't know how to force mysql and potgresql configuration before
>> package configuration.
>>
>> How can be this problem solved?
>
> You should make sure the database configuration is done in
> bacula-director's postinst. That will ensure the director is not
> configured until all its dependencies have been.

I did not checked the bacula-director case explicitly. But, in case
of a software using a DB and using dbconfig-common, the database
dependency cannot be a hard one (ie a Depends) as the database can
be installed on another machine. Instead, Recommends or even
Suggests are used. This is perhaps the reason why Alexander Golovko
see some problems in postinst order between the DB and its package.

One possible solution would be that apt (dpkg?) try to order package
postinst as much as possible, not only for depends as currently, but
also recommends and suggests *when possible*. I do not know at all
if what I suggest is already implemented or not.

Regards,
Vincent
--
Vincent Danjean GPG key ID 0x9D025E87 vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A 8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87