Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Default Towards d-i wheezy beta 3

Hello,

tiny wrap-up for beta 2: the release happened one week after the
prospective date. Some tiny delays on various fronts added up and
explain that, but the overall results don't seem too bad to me.

That's why I'm going to propose the same timing for beta 3: 3 weeks for
development and bug fixes (let's call it a “merge window”), 1 week for
dealing with udeb-related unblock requests, building/testing images and
preparing release announcement.

The FTP Team Sprint is scheduled 2012-09-14 → 2012-09-21, but that
should still leave enough time for development.

Dates would be:
2012/09/29-30: d-i wheezy beta 3 merge window closes.
2012/10/06-07: d-i wheezy beta 3 is released.

Features expected to be merged:
- UEFI support (Steve). Before anyone asks, and as far as I can tell:
it's not about supporting secure boot.
- IPv6 support in d-i (Philipp).
- Possibly more xz-related unblocks (Ansgar).

If anybody wants to see something land into this release, it would be
nice to mention it now instead of after the end of the merge window.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Samuel Thibault

Cyril Brulebois, le Mon 10 Sep 2012 00:07:46 +0200, a crit :
> Features expected to be merged:
> - UEFI support (Steve). Before anyone asks, and as far as I can tell:
> it's not about supporting secure boot.
> - IPv6 support in d-i (Philipp).
> - Possibly more xz-related unblocks (Ansgar).
>
> If anybody wants to see something land into this release, it would be
> nice to mention it now instead of after the end of the merge window.

I'd like to merge the console font switch support for wider speech
language support.

Samuel

Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Features expected to be merged:
> - UEFI support (Steve). Before anyone asks, and as far as I can tell:
> it's not about supporting secure boot.
> - IPv6 support in d-i (Philipp).
> - Possibly more xz-related unblocks (Ansgar).
>
> If anybody wants to see something land into this release, it would be
> nice to mention it now instead of after the end of the merge window.

I'd like to see it recommend the instalation of (or just install by default)
system processor microcode update packages when non-free is enabled on a x86
arch (i386 or amd64) and the running processor is either Intel or AMD
(easily identified by a grep in /proc/cpuinfo).

I'm willing to help write and test this, but I need a few pointers.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Daniel Hartwig

On 10 September 2012 06:07, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> If anybody wants to see something land into this release, it would be
> nice to mention it now instead of after the end of the merge window.

Is there potential to see pkgsel use apt-get instead of aptitude
(following the same change in tasksel)? There is already a patch
committed. I'll give this more of a test this week with some induced
errors during the installation.

Can also add --fix-missing to make apt-get more robust, but I
personally don't think that is a good idea.

Regards

Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Christian PERRIER

Quoting Daniel Hartwig (mandyke@gmail.com):

> Is there potential to see pkgsel use apt-get instead of aptitude
> (following the same change in tasksel)? There is already a patch
> committed. I'll give this more of a test this week with some induced
> errors during the installation.

I hesitated for beta2 then finally didn't upload after talking with
Cyril. But it's probably the good moment to do this.....if you can
make wider testing than I did (which was a base system install and a
quick install of a desktop system, the latter without comparing the
list of installed packages).

Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM

On Sep 10, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> I'd like to see it recommend the instalation of (or just install by default)
> system processor microcode update packages when non-free is enabled on a x86
> arch (i386 or amd64) and the running processor is either Intel or AMD
> (easily identified by a grep in /proc/cpuinfo).
Me too please! Just install them by default, if non-free is enabled
there is no reason to not do it.

Also, we should mention somewhere (the install documentation?) that
non-free should be enabled to install microcode fixes which may be
critical to maintain the system stability.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Paul Tagliamonte

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:07:46AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hello,
>
> tiny wrap-up for beta 2: the release happened one week after the
> prospective date. Some tiny delays on various fronts added up and
> explain that, but the overall results don't seem too bad to me.
>
> That's why I'm going to propose the same timing for beta 3: 3 weeks for
> development and bug fixes (let's call it a “merge window”), 1 week for
> dealing with udeb-related unblock requests, building/testing images and
> preparing release announcement.
>
> The FTP Team Sprint is scheduled 2012-09-14 → 2012-09-21, but that
> should still leave enough time for development.
>
> Dates would be:
> 2012/09/29-30: d-i wheezy beta 3 merge window closes.
> 2012/10/06-07: d-i wheezy beta 3 is released.
>
> Features expected to be merged:
> - UEFI support (Steve). Before anyone asks, and as far as I can tell:
> it's not about supporting secure boot.
> - IPv6 support in d-i (Philipp).
> - Possibly more xz-related unblocks (Ansgar).
>
> If anybody wants to see something land into this release, it would be
> nice to mention it now instead of after the end of the merge window.

I'd like to merge in a fix for the image header, seeing as how we're
clear on the logo usage nowadays.

I'll file a patch shortly for your review.

> Mraw,
> KiBi.

Cheers,
Paul

Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Philipp Kern

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 08:38:38PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> I'd like to see it recommend the instalation of (or just install by default)
> system processor microcode update packages when non-free is enabled on a x86
> arch (i386 or amd64) and the running processor is either Intel or AMD
> (easily identified by a grep in /proc/cpuinfo).

If we do that the same should also happen for firmware-linux-nonfree. Loading
the radeon KMS module without firmware available results in an unusable
(text) console. (Yes, it might be considered a bug that radeon is loadable
without.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 08:38:38PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > I'd like to see it recommend the instalation of (or just install by default)
> > system processor microcode update packages when non-free is enabled on a x86
> > arch (i386 or amd64) and the running processor is either Intel or AMD
> > (easily identified by a grep in /proc/cpuinfo).
>
> If we do that the same should also happen for firmware-linux-nonfree. Loading
> the radeon KMS module without firmware available results in an unusable
> (text) console. (Yes, it might be considered a bug that radeon is loadable
> without.)

Sounds good to me.

What should I clone and hack to try to implement this? Is there any
preference over install-by-default or ask-if-the-user-wants-it ?

Henrique Holschuh

Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 21:10 +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 08:38:38PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > I'd like to see it recommend the instalation of (or just install by default)
> > system processor microcode update packages when non-free is enabled on a x86
> > arch (i386 or amd64) and the running processor is either Intel or AMD
> > (easily identified by a grep in /proc/cpuinfo).
>
> If we do that the same should also happen for firmware-linux-nonfree. Loading
> the radeon KMS module without firmware available results in an unusable
> (text) console. (Yes, it might be considered a bug that radeon is loadable
> without.)

Upstream has said repeatedly that radeon is supposed to fall-back and
work without the microcode, and the driver certainly attempts to do
that. With the older chips this seems to result in 3D acceleration
being unavailable, but I agree that the fallback is broken for newer
chips.

I don't have any expectation of being able to fix the fallback, so any
fix would result in aborting the driver probe if firmware files are not
available. But I also don't want to push users to install from non-free
if it's avoidable, so I want to get a clear picture of which chips this
needs to be done for.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Make three consecutive correct guesses and you will be considered an expert.