Old 09-09-2012, 12:06 AM

Default Feature suggestion: TCP-FIT congestion control

Hello.

I see, that Debian Wheezy comes with new congestion control named 'yeah', it's rather good innovation, but by my tests TCP-Fit congestion control should be the best for now.

More information about it you can get here: http://media.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/~multimedia/tcp-fit/

It would be perfect if you'll innovate this into Wheezy. I am working with high-loaded machines which needs to answer properly to all millions of requests, tcp-fit might be useful for it. Wanna to see native support for it on Debian Wheezy, because for now I am using Debian Wheezy as the main platform.

You can reply me at admin@mvpro.net.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Paul Wise

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Alex wrote:

> I see, that Debian Wheezy comes with new congestion control named 'yeah', it's rather good innovation, but by my tests TCP-Fit congestion control should be the best for now.
> It would be perfect if you'll innovate this into Wheezy.

Debian Wheezy is now frozen so no new features will be added to it:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/06/msg00009.html

If you want TCP-Fit in Debian jessie (the version after wheezy), you
will need to get it included into Linux upstream and then if it
requires enabling you can file a bug against the Debian linux package
to ask the Debian Linux packaging team to enable it.

http://kernelnewbies.org/UpstreamMerge
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Philipp Kern

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 04:06:36AM +0400, adm@mvpro.net wrote:
> I see, that Debian Wheezy comes with new congestion control named 'yeah',
> it's rather good innovation, but by my tests TCP-Fit congestion control
> should be the best for now.

The question is not only one of finding the local optimum, but also how
the chosen congestion control algorithm monopolizes the available
bandwidth, hurting other users. (Yeah, that might make introducing new
congestion control algorithms harder, but it's a solvable problem.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern