Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
"W. Anderson"

Default greater popularity of Debian on AMD64?

It is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that Debian, or
any other GNU/Linux distribution would be making statements that, in
effect, give great public support to AMD in regard Linux, when the
company has for many years been decidedly ambivalent and generally
uncooperative towards the Linux community, particularly in
cooperation with Microsoft in their negative attitudes and actions
toward Free/Open Source Software communities.

Wendell Anderson

wanderson@kimalcorp.org

*

Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Patrick Matthäi

Am 05.09.2012 18:36, schrieb W. Anderson:
> It is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that Debian, or any
> other GNU/Linux distribution would be making statements that, in effect,
> give great public support to AMD in regard Linux, when the company has
> for many years been decidedly ambivalent and generally uncooperative
> towards the Linux community, particularly in cooperation with Microsoft
> in their negative attitudes and /_actions _/toward Free/Open Source
> Software communities.

amd64 is the name of the x64 CPU architecture and also with my fglrx hat
on I think you do not know about what you are speaking (just have got a
look at radeon)..

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

Blog: http://www.linux-dev.org/
E-Mail: pmatthaei@debian.org
patrick@linux-dev.org
*/

Old 09-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Neil McGovern

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:36:36PM -0400, W. Anderson wrote:
> It is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that Debian, or any
> other GNU/Linux distribution would be making statements that, in effect,
> give great public support to AMD in regard Linux, when the company has
> for many years been decidedly ambivalent and generally uncooperative
> towards the Linux community, particularly in cooperation with Microsoft
> in their negative attitudes and /_actions _/toward Free/Open Source
> Software communities.

Hi Wendell,

Please see http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ - amd64 refers to the
architecture which includes both AMD and Intel.

Neil

Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM
martin f krafft

also sprach W. Anderson <kimalcorp@nac.net> [2012.09.05.1836 +0200]:
> It is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that Debian, or any
> other GNU/Linux distribution would be making statements that, in effect,
> give great public support to AMD in regard Linux,

The statement was not about AMD but about the architecture amd64,
which is also used by other processor manufacturers, namely Intel.
For years, Intel had their 'i' in i386. They missed the wagon on
consumer 64-bit architectures and only jumped on after amd64 had
been well established.

But I agree, to the uwashed masses, the statement might sound
a little too much in favour of AMD. Nothing we can do about it now.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info

"lessing was a heretics' heretic"
-- walter kaufmann

Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Ben Armstrong

Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Vincent Cheng

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM, W. Anderson <kimalcorp@nac.net> wrote:
> It is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that Debian, or any
> other GNU/Linux distribution would be making statements that, in effect,
> give great public support to AMD in regard Linux, when the company has for
> many years been decidedly ambivalent and generally uncooperative towards the
> Linux community, particularly in cooperation with Microsoft in their
> negative attitudes and actions toward Free/Open Source Software communities.

I fail to see how the DPN is making a statement that gives "great
public support to AMD"; it is merely a statement of fact. A high
popcon rating for an architecture or a set of packages does not mean
that Debian endorses the use of said architecture/packages.

Regards,
Vincent

Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 06:04:00PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:36:36PM -0400, W. Anderson wrote:
> > It is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that Debian, or any
> > other GNU/Linux distribution would be making statements that, in effect,
> > give great public support to AMD in regard Linux, when the company has
> > for many years been decidedly ambivalent and generally uncooperative
> > towards the Linux community, particularly in cooperation with Microsoft
> > in their negative attitudes and /_actions _/toward Free/Open Source
> > Software communities.
> >

> Hi Wendell,
>
> Please see http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ - amd64 refers to the
> architecture which includes both AMD and Intel.

I've previously requested that various user-facing references to
'i386' and 'amd64' should be changed to the hopefully more
understandable '32-bit PC' and '64-bit PC', with some success. Please
could the publicity team try to follow this convention in future
press/publicity material?

(amd64 can run on current Macs, which are marketed as not-a-PC, but
I don't think there's much point mentioning that until we make it
easier to install on them.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
martin f krafft

also sprach Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> [2012.09.05.1902 +0200]:
> amd64 is the name of the x64 CPU architecture and also with my fglrx hat
> on I think you do not know about what you are speaking (just have got a
> look at radeon)..

Radeon being owned by AMD and fglrx not having the best reputation,
I don't quite understand your point.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info
`. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org

"i always choose my friends for their good looks and my enemies for
their good intellects. man cannot be too careful in his choice of
enemies."
-- oscar wilde

Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Svante Signell

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 20:57 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> [2012.09.05.1902 +0200]:
> > amd64 is the name of the x64 CPU architecture and also with my fglrx hat
> > on I think you do not know about what you are speaking (just have got a
> > look at radeon)..
>
> Radeon being owned by AMD and fglrx not having the best reputation,
> I don't quite understand your point.

AMD helped the development of (free software) radeon drivers for their
graphics cards by people supporting the work and by publishing
documents:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=17071788

Intel did too:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=18469079

However for the development of coreboot AMD has been very supportive,
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2008-December/042783.html
and Intel not at all,
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2011-January/062775.html

So YMWV ;-)

Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Patrick Matthäi

Am 05.09.2012 20:57, schrieb martin f krafft:
> also sprach Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> [2012.09.05.1902 +0200]:
>> amd64 is the name of the x64 CPU architecture and also with my fglrx hat
>> on I think you do not know about what you are speaking (just have got a
>> look at radeon)..
>
> Radeon being owned by AMD and fglrx not having the best reputation,
> I don't quite understand your point.

Forget the past where GPUs were owned by ATI, they s....
When AMD took over ATI they first began to work with the OSS community,
seriously checked if they could open fglrx-driver, hire full time people
to work on the radeon driver, released 2D/3D/board/Video specifications
of their cards and so on..
AMD also supports Debian (just now with an special point release for
Wheezy). I do not think that AMD (not the past ATI) is evil and such foo
should stop here.

And why hasn't got radeon a good reputation? It is the fastest and most
supported OSS Xorg driver and also quite stable.. Yeah intel has got a
good OSS driver, but they are to lame for complex 2D/3D scenarious..

--
/*