Old 04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Stephen Gran

Default RFH: clamav

Hi all,

I'm looking for people to help with maintenance of clamav. You must
be at least a reasonably strong C coder, since you'll be assisting with
security backports to stable every few weeks or months. You must enjoy or
at least be willing to tolerate an upstream that thinks it's a good idea
to bundle a fix for a remote exploit with a soname change, incompatible
configuration file options, and an incompatible virus database format.
You must have at least some interest in licensing issues, as upstream
sometimes doesn't. Most of all, you must be reasonably enthusiastic
about the package, since I'm starting to flag.

Replies off list, please, and thanks in advance.
| ,'`. Stephen Gran |
| : :' : sgran@debian.org |
| `. `' Debian user, admin, and developer |
| `- http://www.debian.org |

Old 08-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Stephen Gran

This one time, at band camp, Stephen Gran said:
> I'm looking for people to help with maintenance of clamav.

So, I got a total of one reply to this RFH. I'm currently debating
whether or not to release clamav with lenny or orphan it. I don't think
I'm interested in taking it through the next stable release on my own,
so an orphan looks likely, but I'm interested enough to want to be part
of a team if anyone else is interested. If you're interested in seeing
it release, please contact me off list.

Thanks,

Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Moritz Muehlenhoff

Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Stephen Gran said:
>> I'm looking for people to help with maintenance of clamav.
>
> So, I got a total of one reply to this RFH. I'm currently debating
> whether or not to release clamav with lenny or orphan it. I don't think
> I'm interested in taking it through the next stable release on my own,
> so an orphan looks likely, but I'm interested enough to want to be part
> of a team if anyone else is interested. If you're interested in seeing
> it release, please contact me off list.

I've mentioned it before, but it didn't come to any real conclusion:
I think we should only support clamav through volatile.debian.org and
not through the regular archive. It has happened twice that clamav
became unusable through the lifecycle of a release (Sarge's version
failed to parse malware signatures since later releases required more
advanced engine features and Etch's version is unusably slow for the
same reason #454587) and we shouldn't repeat this for a third time.

Only providing current versions through volatile will also be less
work than all the backporting that's currently being done. There're
a few libclamav reverse-deps, which need to be adressed, though.

Cheers,
Moritz