FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Guillem Jover
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

Hi!

On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 10:35:17 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> get-orig-source:
> git archive --remote='$(REPO)' --prefix='openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig/'
> --format=tar '$(TAG)' | tar xf -
> rm -r openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig/src/WINNT
> tar cf openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig.tar openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig
> rm -r openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig
> gzip -9 openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig.tar

Just a small off-topic tangent , but this could be slightly optimized
with something like (untested):

git archive --remote='$(REPO)' --prefix='openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig/'
--format=tar '$(TAG)' |
tar --delete openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig/src/WINNT |
gzip -9 > openafs_$(DEBVERS).orig.tar.gz

regards,
guillem


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120820021622.GB2190@gaara.hadrons.org">http://lists.debian.org/20120820021622.GB2190@gaara.hadrons.org
 
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Andreas Tille
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:10:19AM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > > I use ~dfsg by default, ~dfsg1 and bumping numbers for multiple
> > > repackagings, and only +dfsg when the repackaging happens after a
> > > non-repackaged version was released into Debian.
> > >
> > > Reason for this is that there is a slight chance upstream may re-release
> > > same upstream version repackaged to fix a purely tarball-related issuem
> > > and I would then have room for using that proper version instead of
> > > using epoch or add a bogus .0 to the version.
> >
> > This was also my initial idea when firt proposing ~dfsg. On the other
> > hand: I would *really* want to have upstream adding a new version number
> > to the cleaned up release. It is just (uhmm, find your own word here)
> > if people release the same named file with different content. So I do
> > not see great harm if we would settle with +dfsg. Gregor, could you give
> > better reasons than Jonas for +dfsg?
>
> Well, I see Jonas' point but I haven't encountered it yet in my
> experience; and often repackaging happens after detecticting that
> it's needed, in which case +dfsg seems more logical.

I confirm that this case seems the more probable case to my experience.
I also agree that a configurable suffix would be interesting but my main
focus is currently the implementation of the deletion process and the
configurable suffix could be added as an additional feature later.

> > > That initial test by Gregor makes me worry if Debian::Copyright parser
> > > might be too strict: Writing should be strict but parsing relaxed -
> > > Copyright file format with undefined fields added should *not* be
> > > treated as broken. Perhaps there are other surprises waiting to happen
> > > :-/
>
> Yup, I was just the first that came to my mind.
>
> > Could anybody say something about this?
>
> Next guess:
>
> Dpkg::Control::Hash - parse and manipulate a block of RFC822-like fields
> (libdpkg-perl)

How would you compare this to Jonas solution using

use Parse:ebControl;

? I'm to inexperienced with these tools to weight pros and cons.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120820073934.GB17572@an3as.eu">http://lists.debian.org/20120820073934.GB17572@an3as.eu
 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
James McCoy
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 09:39:34AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:10:19AM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > Next guess:
> >
> > Dpkg::Control::Hash - parse and manipulate a block of RFC822-like fields
> > (libdpkg-perl)
>
> How would you compare this to Jonas solution using
>
> use Parse:ebControl;

Using Dpkg::Control::Hash would be preferable since we're already using
that library in devscripts.

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org>
 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Andreas Tille
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 07:03:58AM -0400, James McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 09:39:34AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:10:19AM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > > Next guess:
> > >
> > > Dpkg::Control::Hash - parse and manipulate a block of RFC822-like fields
> > > (libdpkg-perl)
> >
> > How would you compare this to Jonas solution using
> >
> > use Parse:ebControl;
>
> Using Dpkg::Control::Hash would be preferable since we're already using
> that library in devscripts.

This would be an argument but if I do in the source of devscripts

$ find . -type f -exec grep -H "Dpkg::Control" {} ;
./debian/changelog: + Parse dpkg's status file using Dpkg::Control.
./Devscripts/PackageDeps.pm:use Dpkg::Control;
./Devscripts/PackageDeps.pm: while (defined($ctrl = Dpkg::Control->new(type => CTRL_FILE_STATUS))
./Devscripts/Packages.pm:use Dpkg::Control;
./Devscripts/Packages.pm: while (defined($ctrl = Dpkg::Control->new())
./Devscripts/Packages.pm: while (defined($ctrl = Dpkg::Control->new(type => CTRL_FILE_STATUS))
./scripts/debi.pl:use Dpkg::Control;
./scripts/debi.pl:my $ctrl = Dpkg::Control->new(name => $changes, type => CTRL_FILE_CHANGES);
./scripts/mk-build-deps.pl:use Dpkg::Control;
./scripts/mk-build-deps.pl: my $ctrl = Dpkg::Control->new(allow_pgp => 1, type => CTRL_UNKNOWN);
$ find . -type f -exec grep -H "Parse:ebControl" {} ;
./scripts/debchange.pl: require Parse:ebControl;
./scripts/debchange.pl: $lpdc_broken="couldn't load Parse:ebControl: $@";
./scripts/debchange.pl: my $parser = Parse:ebControl->new;
./scripts/debchange.pl: my $parser = new Parse:ebControl;


both are used (admittedly the usage statistics Dpkg::Control vs
Parse:ebControl is 4:1). May I asume that the intention of your
remark was that you want to get rid of Parse:ebControl inside
devscripts or was you just not aware of its usage. I'm totally unbiased
because I did not used any of both - just want to make an educated
choice.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120820112253.GE19334@an3as.eu">http://lists.debian.org/20120820112253.GE19334@an3as.eu
 
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM
gregor herrmann
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:39:34 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > Dpkg::Control::Hash - parse and manipulate a block of RFC822-like fields
> > (libdpkg-perl)
> How would you compare this to Jonas solution using
> use Parse:ebControl;
> ?

Not sure how "official" my use of Dpkg::Control::Hash is, so maybe
better stick to Jonas' proposal

Cheers,
gregor

--
.'`. Homepage: http://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key 0xBB3A68018649AA06
: :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer - http://www.debian.org/
`. `' Member of VIBE!AT & SPI, fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe
`- NP: Funny Van Dannen: Ich bin nicht mehr ping
 
Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Guillem Jover
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

Hi!

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 20:50:31 +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:39:34 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > Dpkg::Control::Hash - parse and manipulate a block of RFC822-like fields
> > > (libdpkg-perl)
> > How would you compare this to Jonas solution using
> > use Parse:ebControl;
> > ?
>
> Not sure how "official" my use of Dpkg::Control::Hash is, so maybe
> better stick to Jonas' proposal

That module is version >= 1.00, so it's a stable and public interface
that can be used by third party code w/o worrying about backward
incompatibilities.

thanks,
guillem


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120821013758.GA13553@gaara.hadrons.org">http://lists.debian.org/20120821013758.GA13553@gaara.hadrons.org
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Andreas Tille
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

Hi Guillem,

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 03:37:58AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 20:50:31 +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:39:34 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > > Dpkg::Control::Hash - parse and manipulate a block of RFC822-like fields
> > > > (libdpkg-perl)
> > > How would you compare this to Jonas solution using
> > > use Parse:ebControl;
> > > ?
> >
> > Not sure how "official" my use of Dpkg::Control::Hash is, so maybe
> > better stick to Jonas' proposal
>
> That module is version >= 1.00, so it's a stable and public interface
> that can be used by third party code w/o worrying about backward
> incompatibilities.

I don't get what you want to express:

$ LANG=C apt-cache policy libparse-debcontrol-perl
libparse-debcontrol-perl:
Installed: 2.005-3
Candidate: 2.005-3
Version table:
*** 2.005-3 0
501 http://http.debian.net/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
50 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ LANG=C apt-cache policy libdpkg-perl
libdpkg-perl:
Installed: 1.16.8
Candidate: 1.16.8
Version table:
*** 1.16.8 0
501 http://http.debian.net/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
50 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Both modules have version >= 1.00.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120821064239.GA14977@an3as.eu">http://lists.debian.org/20120821064239.GA14977@an3as.eu
 
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Guillem Jover
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 08:42:39 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 03:37:58AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 20:50:31 +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > > Not sure how "official" my use of Dpkg::Control::Hash is, so maybe
> > > better stick to Jonas' proposal
> >
> > That module is version >= 1.00, so it's a stable and public interface
> > that can be used by third party code w/o worrying about backward
> > incompatibilities.
>
> I don't get what you want to express:
>
> $ LANG=C apt-cache policy libparse-debcontrol-perl
> $ LANG=C apt-cache policy libdpkg-perl
>
> Both modules have version >= 1.00.

Module not package, sorry, I thought it was clear from the context.

See:

/usr/share/doc/libdpkg-perl/README.api

$ dpkg -L libdpkg-perl|grep 'Hash.pm'|xargs grep VERSION

thanks,
guillem


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120821152024.GA17840@gaara.hadrons.org">http://lists.debian.org/20120821152024.GA17840@gaara.hadrons.org
 
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Andreas Tille
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 05:20:24PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > I don't get what you want to express:
> >
> > $ LANG=C apt-cache policy libparse-debcontrol-perl
> > $ LANG=C apt-cache policy libdpkg-perl
> >
> > Both modules have version >= 1.00.
>
> Module not package, sorry, I thought it was clear from the context.

Sorry, I'm not that involved in Perl and somehow assumed that the
package version has some relation to the module version

> See:
>
> /usr/share/doc/libdpkg-perl/README.api
>
> $ dpkg -L libdpkg-perl|grep 'Hash.pm'|xargs grep VERSION

It seems my assumption is not that wrong:

dpkg -L libparse-debcontrol-perl|grep 'DebControl.pm'|xargs grep VERSION
use vars qw($VERSION);
$VERSION = '2.005';

So your conclusion from module version >= 1.00 to stability of API
remains unclear to me because both look somehow stable. As I have
written in my example test code: It does not really matter which one
we prefer - both are working perfectly fine. I'll leave the final
decision to the maintainer of uscan code who needs to accept the patch.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120821190912.GE23852@an3as.eu">http://lists.debian.org/20120821190912.GE23852@an3as.eu
 
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Guillem Jover
 
Default Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 21:09:12 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 05:20:24PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > See:
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/libdpkg-perl/README.api
> >
> > $ dpkg -L libdpkg-perl|grep 'Hash.pm'|xargs grep VERSION
>
> It seems my assumption is not that wrong:
>
> dpkg -L libparse-debcontrol-perl|grep 'DebControl.pm'|xargs grep VERSION
> use vars qw($VERSION);
> $VERSION = '2.005';
>
> So your conclusion from module version >= 1.00 to stability of API
> remains unclear to me because both look somehow stable. As I have
> written in my example test code: It does not really matter which one
> we prefer - both are working perfectly fine. I'll leave the final
> decision to the maintainer of uscan code who needs to accept the patch.

Oh, my comment was in response to gregor's doubts about his usage of
the libdpkg-perl module, and my reply was intended to clarify just
that, because there's modules in libdpkg-perl which are not public nor
stable yet, for example. I don't know anything about the expectactions
one should assume from libparse-debcontrol-perl (although I'd guess
those are pretty similar given the versioning).

thanks,
guillem


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120821233108.GA22313@gaara.hadrons.org">http://lists.debian.org/20120821233108.GA22313@gaara.hadrons.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org