Old 08-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Russ Allbery

Default Minified javascript files

Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:

> On the behalf of the FTP master team, Ansgar Burchardt explained me why
> the dependency to libjs-jquery is not enough to fulfill the "provide the
> sources" part since the source in the archive may not correspond to the
> version included in the upstream tarball.

> I agree with the rationale. However, here is mine:

> 1. The license allows redistribution and modification of the minified
> version without having the sources. Therefore, we are only dealing
> with DFSG here.
> 2. The package does not need the shipped minified version to work
> correctly. We replace it with another minified version from another
> package. This may mean that from the point of view of the
> package, the sources provided in libjs-jquery is "equivalent" to the
> sources that would have been provided with the package.
> 3. Repacking the original tarball just to remove those files is extra
> work.

> I know this is tedious but what others think about this matter?

Could this be solved via the Built-Using field? That indicates that
you're embedding source from another package (in this case, libjs-jquery).

Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Russ Allbery

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:

>> On the behalf of the FTP master team, Ansgar Burchardt explained me why
>> the dependency to libjs-jquery is not enough to fulfill the "provide
>> the sources" part since the source in the archive may not correspond to
>> the version included in the upstream tarball.

>> I agree with the rationale. However, here is mine:

>> 1. The license allows redistribution and modification of the minified
>> version without having the sources. Therefore, we are only dealing
>> with DFSG here.
>> 2. The package does not need the shipped minified version to work
>> correctly. We replace it with another minified version from another
>> package. This may mean that from the point of view of the
>> package, the sources provided in libjs-jquery is "equivalent" to the
>> sources that would have been provided with the package.
>> 3. Repacking the original tarball just to remove those files is extra
>> work.

>> I know this is tedious but what others think about this matter?

> Could this be solved via the Built-Using field? That indicates that
> you're embedding source from another package (in this case,
> libjs-jquery).

Oh, no, wait, never mind, that's only for binary packages, and the problem
you have is with the source package containing sources that are not in the
preferred form for modification. Yeah, I don't think there's a good
solution for that.