Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Ivan Shmakov

Default ifconfig(8)

>> ifconfig and route were around already when everyone insisted on the
>> separation of /bin and /sbin. /bin/ip is slightly newer and
>> supposed to replace ifconfig/route some day entirely.

> Just for the records, iproute entirely replaced ifconfig/route long
> ago.

Curiously enough, ifconfig(8) shows RX/TX byte counts, and,
somehow, I didn't manage to get a similar output from iproute.
Any pointers? TIA.

> The only reason for keeping around the old programs is compatibility
> with other packages not yet updated and to not scare people who do
> not know better.

> (Does anybody want to try removing net-tools and see what breaks?)

I guess that $ apt-cache rdepends may be a safer check, like:

$ apt-cache rdepends --no-suggests net-tools

However, it made me wonder, why ifupdown Suggests: net-tools?

--
FSF associate member #7257 http://sf-day.org/

Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Timo Juhani Lindfors

Ivan Shmakov <oneingray@gmail.com> writes:
> Curiously enough, ifconfig(8) shows RX/TX byte counts, and,
> somehow, I didn't manage to get a similar output from iproute.
> Any pointers? TIA.

$ ip -s link show lo
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
RX: bytes packets errors dropped overrun mcast
1686679058 6901861 0 0 0 0
TX: bytes packets errors dropped carrier collsns
1686679058 6901861 0 0 0 0

Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Ivan Shmakov

>> Curiously enough, ifconfig(8) shows RX/TX byte counts, and, somehow,
>> I didn't manage to get a similar output from iproute. Any pointers?
>> TIA.

> $ ip -s link show lo
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
> link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
> RX: bytes packets errors dropped overrun mcast
> 1686679058 6901861 0 0 0 0
> TX: bytes packets errors dropped carrier collsns
> 1686679058 6901861 0 0 0 0

At last, I can forget about ifconfig(8). Thanks!

--
FSF associate member #7257 http://sf-day.org/