Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Jarek Kamiński

Default node-like file conflicts

Na grupie linux.debian.devel napisałe(a)ś:
>> There might be even more if you assume that you can co-install Linux an=
>> kFreeBSD binaries (yay, multi-arch world!).

> They might be co-installable but not executable (for the time being).
> The Linux emulation layer which is featured by kFreeBSD only runs in a
> chroot for now.

Hmm... When I was playing some time ago with multiarch on kFreeBSD it
worked without chroot. It wasn't working flawlessly, if I remember
correctly I had to bump Linux kernel version returned by kFreeBSD (some
sysctl), as it was below glibc minimum.

There were also some problems with dynamic linker, that I wanted to
debug and report to BTS, but never managed to. When both i386 and
kfreebsd-i386 versions of library were installed, ld.so tried
kfreebsd-i386 even for Linux binaries, or something like that. I think
the problem didn't occur with kfreebsd-amd64 (and Linux i386) and could
be worked around on kfreebsd-i386 by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
/usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu/ or something like that.

I may not remember everything exactly, but I definitely ran some Linux
binaries od kFreeBSD using multiarch without chroot ;-)

--
pozdr(); // Jarek

Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 22:21 +0200, Jarek Kamiński wrote:
> Na grupie linux.debian.devel napisałe(a)ś:
> >> There might be even more if you assume that you can co-install Linux an=
> >> kFreeBSD binaries (yay, multi-arch world!).
>
> > They might be co-installable but not executable (for the time being).
> > The Linux emulation layer which is featured by kFreeBSD only runs in a
> > chroot for now.
>
> Hmm... When I was playing some time ago with multiarch on kFreeBSD it
> worked without chroot. It wasn't working flawlessly, if I remember
> correctly I had to bump Linux kernel version returned by kFreeBSD (some
> sysctl), as it was below glibc minimum.
[...]

There is also no support for Linux amd64 executables on kfreebsd-amd64,
as I understand it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Theory and practice are closer in theory than in practice.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Jon Dowland

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 01:00:38PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> /usr/games is a swamp for another time I think. I guess it contains
> an awful lot of things with clashing names.

Last I checked the latest FHS drafts removed /usr/games entirely, so the
morass might end up being dumped into /usr/bin at some point in the near
future, where they are promoted from $PATH conflicts to actual binary
conflicts.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Steve Langasek

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 02:15:20PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 01:00:38PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > /usr/games is a swamp for another time I think. I guess it contains
> > an awful lot of things with clashing names.

> Last I checked the latest FHS drafts removed /usr/games entirely, so the
> morass might end up being dumped into /usr/bin at some point in the near
> future, where they are promoted from $PATH conflicts to actual binary
> conflicts.

Removal of /usr/games has been proposed on the FHS mailing list. There have
also been objections to this change. It is not in the current FHS draft.

Merging /usr/games into /usr/bin is *wrong* because you want the superuser
to *not* have sgid games in their path. /usr/games is the reciprocal of
/usr/sbin.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 02:15:20PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 01:00:38PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > /usr/games is a swamp for another time I think. I guess it contains
> > > an awful lot of things with clashing names.
>
> > Last I checked the latest FHS drafts removed /usr/games entirely, so the
> > morass might end up being dumped into /usr/bin at some point in the near
> > future, where they are promoted from $PATH conflicts to actual binary
> > conflicts.
>
> Removal of /usr/games has been proposed on the FHS mailing list. There have
> also been objections to this change. It is not in the current FHS draft.
>
> Merging /usr/games into /usr/bin is *wrong* because you want the superuser
> to *not* have sgid games in their path. /usr/games is the reciprocal of
> /usr/sbin.

Agreed. And most games in /usr/games are usually accessed through
desktop menu entries anyway, so they better be well away from the
crowded namespace.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org>, 2012-08-06, 15:37:

The following package pairs:
1) are co-installable,
2) both ship binaries with the same name, but in different
directories within $PATH (e.g. one in /usr/bin, another in
/usr/sbin):

There's a few more if you take alternatives into account:

boom: alliance prboom
lft: lft traceroute
tf: tf tf5
vi: elvis-tiny vim (+ a bunch of other vi clones)

(The format is: "<binary>: <package-with-real-file>
<package-with-alternative>".)

--
Jakub Wilk

Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Russ Allbery

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:

> There's a few more if you take alternatives into account:

> tf: tf tf5

(Speaking with my tf5 maintainer hat on.) The current arrangement of
these packages is weird, but I'm not sure how much trouble it's causing.
tf ships /usr/games/tf and tf5 ships /usr/bin/tf5. Both of them manage
the /usr/bin/tf alternative. So you do get different things depending on
whether you have /usr/games before /usr/bin in your path.

My preference would be to retire the /usr/games path entirely and have tf
install itself as /usr/bin/tf4, but I'm not responsible for the tf
package. (TinyFugue is no more a "game" than irssi is. I use it all the
time to connect to work chatservers that we use instead of IRC.)

Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org>, 2012-09-21, 17:42:

The following package pairs:
1) are co-installable,
2) both ship binaries with the same name, but in different
directories within $PATH (e.g. one in /usr/bin, another in
/usr/sbin):

There's a few more if you take alternatives into account:

boom: alliance prboom
lft: lft traceroute
tf: tf tf5
vi: elvis-tiny vim (+ a bunch of other vi clones)

(The format is: "<binary>: <package-with-real-file>
<package-with-alternative>".)

In case someone wants to do more research about (mis)use of
alternatives, here's a list of all alternatives created by Debian
packages (in the same format at Contents-* files, which can be found on
your favourite mirror and are used by apt-file):

http://people.debian.org/~jwilk/alternatives/Contents

The file was generated by this script:
http://people.debian.org/~jwilk/alternatives/generate-contents
(with some manual additions for packages that weren't installable).

--
Jakub Wilk