Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Ian Jackson

Default node-like file conflicts

Josselin Mouette writes ("Re: node-like file conflicts"):
> Le lundi 06 août 2012 * 15:37 +0200, Jakub Wilk a écrit :
> > The following package pairs:
> > 1) are co-installable,
> > 2) both ship binaries with the same name, but in different directories
> > within $PATH (e.g. one in /usr/bin, another in /usr/sbin):
>
> Thanks.
>
> There’s also epiphany (maybe your forgot /usr/games).

/usr/games is a swamp for another time I think. I guess it contains
an awful lot of things with clashing names.

Nowadays those name clashes, and the expectation that people writing
games might not be so good about namespace questions as other software
(ha ha ha), might be part of the TBH rather flimsy justification for
/usr/games's existence.

Ian.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>, 2012-08-07, 08:13:

The following package pairs:
1) are co-installable,
2) both ship binaries with the same name, but in different directories
within $PATH (e.g. one in /usr/bin, another in /usr/sbin):

Thanks.

There’s also epiphany (maybe your forgot /usr/games).

Hasn't it been fixed since, um, 2003? (bug #216489)

But you guessed right, I forgot to check /usr/games:

sauce: fortunes-de sauce
makeobj: kdesdk-scripts simutrans-makeobj
mousetrap: gnome-mousetrap mousetrap
monop: bsdgames mono-devel
rs: reminiscence rs
guess: nvram-wakeup sgt-puzzles
morse: bsdgames morse
morse: bsdgames morse-simulator
hunt: bsdgames hunt
scribble: racket scribble
metar: flightgear metar
queen: flight-of-the-amazon-queen sgb

(Strictly speaking flightgear + metar are not co-installable, but that's
only because flightgear itself is not installable.)

--
Jakub Wilk
Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>

Angel Ramos <seamus@debian.org>
hunt

Anibal Avelar <aavelar@cofradia.org>
mousetrap

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org>
simutrans-makeobj (U)

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
sgt-puzzles

Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com>
scribble

Clint Adams <clint@gnu.org>
simutrans-makeobj (U)

Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org>
reminiscence (U)

David Bremner <bremner@debian.org>
racket

David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>
flight-of-the-amazon-queen (U)

Debian Accessibility Team <debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org>
gnome-mousetrap

Debian FlightGear Crew <pkg-fgfs-crew@lists.alioth.debian.org>
flightgear

Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
bsdgames
flight-of-the-amazon-queen
reminiscence
simutrans-makeobj

Debian Mono Group <pkg-mono-group@lists.alioth.debian.org>
mono-devel

Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
kdesdk-scripts

Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
morse-simulator

Debian VDR Team <pkg-vdr-dvb-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
nvram-wakeup

Fathi Boudra <fabo@debian.org>
kdesdk-scripts (U)

George Kiagiadakis <kiagiadakis.george@gmail.com>
kdesdk-scripts (U)

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk>
sauce

James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org>
racket (U)

Jo Shields <directhex@apebox.org>
mono-devel (U)

José Manuel Santamar*a Lema <panfaust@gmail.com>
kdesdk-scripts (U)

Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>
sgb

Kees Leune <kees@leune.org>
metar

Michael Prokop <mika@debian.org>
rs (U)

Mirco Bauer <meebey@debian.org>
mono-devel (U)

Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>
kdesdk-scripts (U)

Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>
flight-of-the-amazon-queen (U)

Nanakos Chrysostomos <nanakos@wired-net.gr>
morse

Ove Kaaven <ovek@arcticnet.no>
flightgear (U)

Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org>
gnome-mousetrap (U)

Sune Vuorela <sune@debian.org>
kdesdk-scripts (U)

Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org>
morse-simulator (U)

Séverin Lemaignan <severin@guakamole.org>
morse-simulator (U)

Thomas Schmidt <tschmidt@debian.org>
nvram-wakeup (U)

Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de>
rs

Tobias Grimm <etobi@debian.org>
nvram-wakeup (U)

Tobias Quathamer <toddy@debian.org>
bsdgames (U)

Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 04:14:19PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
[...]
> guess: nvram-wakeup sgt-puzzles
[...]
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
> sgt-puzzles
[...]

There are a lot of short and generic names in this package. I
appended 'game' to some of them to avoid such conflicts when
originally uploading. 'guess' was added more recently and I must have
forgotten to check.

I don't know if I should carry on adding the suffix to specific
conflicting names, or do what Fedora has done: add 'puzzle-' as a
prefix to all of them. I'm probably not the only one who sometimes
types their names, so the latter could be an annoying change.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Ian Jackson

Ben Hutchings writes ("Re: node-like file conflicts"):
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 04:14:19PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> [...]
> > guess: nvram-wakeup sgt-puzzles
> [...]
> > Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
> > sgt-puzzles
> [...]
>
> There are a lot of short and generic names in this package. I
> appended 'game' to some of them to avoid such conflicts when
> originally uploading. 'guess' was added more recently and I must have
> forgotten to check.
>
> I don't know if I should carry on adding the suffix to specific
> conflicting names, or do what Fedora has done: add 'puzzle-' as a
> prefix to all of them. I'm probably not the only one who sometimes
> types their names, so the latter could be an annoying change.

We should (i) discuss this with upstream (ii) do a transition where we
ship new names for a bit.

So, Simon, if these puzzle names should be qualified to make them more
unique on the PATH, what formulaic change should be made ? My
recommendation would be "sgt-*" on the grounds that that's unlikely to
conflict, although it might of course end up with your initials on a
broken or badly-behaved derivative.

Ian.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Simon Tatham

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> So, Simon, if these puzzle names should be qualified to make them more
> unique on the PATH, what formulaic change should be made ? My
> recommendation would be "sgt-*" on the grounds that that's unlikely to
> conflict, although it might of course end up with your initials on a
> broken or badly-behaved derivative.

"sgt-*" is what I'd have suggested too, since it's the most sensible
abbreviation of the title of the whole puzzle collection.

I hadn't actually considered the risk of crappy derivatives looking
as if I wrote them, but given that they'll probably still be
labelled with my name in places other than their filenames, I don't
think it's something I can get worked up about. Perhaps I shouldn't
have named the whole collection after myself in the first place, but
I couldn't think of a better name at the time and it's too late now.

Cheers,
Simon
--
Simon Tatham "What a caterpillar calls the end of the
<anakin@pobox.com> world, a human calls a butterfly."

Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Olaf Titz

> guess: nvram-wakeup sgt-puzzles

That's an awfully generic name for a program which gets run exactly once per
motherboard to figure out some hardware configuration :-(
Not knowing the game I would recommend renaming the nvram-wakeup thingy.

Olaf

Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Dmitrijs Ledkovs

On 6 August 2012 14:37, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
> The following package pairs:
> 1) are co-installable,
> 2) both ship binaries with the same name, but in different directories
> within $PATH (e.g. one in /usr/bin, another in /usr/sbin):
>
> sethdlc: ax25-tools dahdi
> crm: crm114 pacemaker
> cutter: cutter-testing-framework-bin cutter
> gearmand: gearman-job-server gearman-server
> update-locale: gosa-dev locales
> sendpage: hylafax-client sendpage-server
> rpcinfo: libc-bin rpcbind
> lid: libuser id-utils
> nfsiostat: nfs-common sysstat
> vmware-user-suid-wrapper: open-vm-tools open-vm-toolbox
> ptest: pacemaker parmetis-test
> siggen: siggen tripwire
> tcpd: tcm tcpd
> vuname: util-vserver umview
>
> Any volunteers to file bugs?

Does this include search across all components of standard $PATH and
across all packages? How did you run this check? I would be interested
in duplicates (shipped by the single package or different packages)
across /bin & /usr/bin; /sbin & /usr/sbin; /lib & /usr/lib and
etc.

Regards,
Dmitrijs.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 15:37:11 +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> The following package pairs:
> 1) are co-installable,
> 2) both ship binaries with the same name, but in different
> directories within $PATH (e.g. one in /usr/bin, another in
> /usr/sbin):

Ralf Treinen has been running automated tests [0] for file overwrite
conflicts among packags in the archive; Ralf (CCed), maybe you might
be interested in covering conflicts over different pathnames too?

[0] <http://edos.debian.net/file-overwrites/>

regards,
guillem

Old 08-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org>, 2012-08-07, 22:47:

Does this include search across all components of standard $PATH

Yes, modulo bugs (see my other message in this thread).

and across all packages?

Yes, on i386 and amd64. If you check kfreebsd-* there's also this one:

ztest: zfsutils zutils

There might be even more if you assume that you can co-install Linux and
kFreeBSD binaries (yay, multi-arch world!).

How did you run this check?

I used a script (attached) to analyse Contents-*.gz files, which you can
find on your favourite mirror. Then I manually filtered some
false-positives.

--
Jakub Wilk
#!/usr/bin/python3

# Copyright 2012 Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org>

# Redistribution and use in source and compiled forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted under any circumstances. No warranty.

import argparse
import collections
import functools
import gzip
import re

interesting = re.compile(br'^((?:usr/)?s?bin/|usr/games/)([^/s]+)s+(S+)').match

def main():
ap = argparse.ArgumentParser()
ap.add_argument('files', metavar='FILE', nargs='+')
options = ap.parse_args()
data = collections.defaultdict(
lambda: collections.defaultdict(set)
)
for filename in options.files:
if filename.endswith('.gz'):
file = gzip.open(filename)
else:
file = open(filename, 'rb')
with file:
for line in file:
if line.startswith(b'FILE'):
break
for line in file:
match = interesting(line)
if match is not None:
path, command, packages = (s.decode('UTF-8') for s in match.groups())
packages = set(p.split('/')[-1] for p in packages.split(','))
data[command][path] |= packages
for command, paths in data.items():
if len(paths) > 1:
packages = functools.reduce(set.union, paths.values(), set())
if len(packages) > 1:
print('{command}: {packages}'.format(
command=command,
packages=' '.join(sorted(packages))
))

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

# vim:ts=4 sw=4 et

Old 08-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Arno Tll

Hi,

On 08.08.2012 17:53, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> ztest: zfsutils zutils

Hum, thanks for spotting that, but what to do here? Both packages
legitimately ship a ztest. Admittedly it is not very important for
zfsutils, don't know about zutils. Having that said, lots of upstream
tutorials and documentation refers to a ZFS "ztest" tool.

> There might be even more if you assume that you can co-install Linux and
> kFreeBSD binaries (yay, multi-arch world!).

They might be co-installable but not executable (for the time being).
The Linux emulation layer which is featured by kFreeBSD only runs in a
chroot for now.

--
with kind regards,
Arno Tll