Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Norbert Preining

Default RFH: non-blocking desktop conforming viewer

Dear all,

I am searching for a method to call a desktop conforming viewer
that is blocking, i.e., that does not immediately return.

Background: texdoc is the main tool to search for the waste amount
of TeX documentation shipped. It supports also zipped (various
formats) docs, but needs a viewer that is non-blocking, otherwise
the temporary uncompressed file will hang around forever.

Some time ago I switched from using "see" on Debian as the default
texdoc viewer to "xdg-open" to make sure that proper selection
of viewers are used (proper for the current desktop environment).

Unfortunately, xdg-open, at least under gnome, is non-blocking, i.e.,
immediately returns (in fact it is the underlying gvfs-open that
returns immediately), which makes it impossible to use texdoc
for searching and viewing compressed docs.

I see several options here:
* forget about compressed documentation
PDF since format 1.4 has internal compression, meaning that
the other compression does not win a lot at all
We could advise packagers to use dh_compress -X.pdf

not my favorite

* use a fixed list of viewers configured and force every user
to change the viewer himself
not my favorite

I would be very happy about further opinions, suggestions, options

Thanks a lot

Norbert

Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that
anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely
by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the
final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove
that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and
without faith I am nothing.'
The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't
it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you
exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't.
QED.'

Old 08-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Reinhard Tartler

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am searching for a method to call a desktop conforming viewer
> that is blocking, i.e., that does not immediately return.
>
> Background: texdoc is the main tool to search for the waste amount
> of TeX documentation shipped. It supports also zipped (various
> formats) docs, but needs a viewer that is non-blocking, otherwise
> the temporary uncompressed file will hang around forever.
>
> Some time ago I switched from using "see" on Debian as the default
> texdoc viewer to "xdg-open" to make sure that proper selection
> of viewers are used (proper for the current desktop environment).
>
> Unfortunately, xdg-open, at least under gnome, is non-blocking, i.e.,
> immediately returns (in fact it is the underlying gvfs-open that
> returns immediately), which makes it impossible to use texdoc
> for searching and viewing compressed docs.

That sounds like an easy-to-implement extension in xdg-open.

> I see several options here:
> * forget about compressed documentation
> PDF since format 1.4 has internal compression, meaning that
> the other compression does not win a lot at all
> We could advise packagers to use dh_compress -X.pdf

I'm not sure, but wouldn't it be better to change dh_compress to do
the right thing and use the pdf format internal compression instead of
running gzip?

> not my favorite

Fixing xdg-open instead seems favorable to me.

> * use a fixed list of viewers configured and force every user
> to change the viewer himself
> not my favorite

That doesn't really solve the problem, but only irritates users.

--
regards,
Reinhard

Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Norbert Preining

Hi Reinhard,

thanks for your answers

On Mo, 06 Aug 2012, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > Unfortunately, xdg-open, at least under gnome, is non-blocking, i.e.,
> > immediately returns (in fact it is the underlying gvfs-open that
> > returns immediately), which makes it impossible to use texdoc
> > for searching and viewing compressed docs.
>
> That sounds like an easy-to-implement extension in xdg-open.

Unfortunately not. Since it calls gvfs-open it is the fault of
gvfs-open in this case. In other cases it calls evince, which is
blocking.

It depends on the program xdg-open chooses, whether it is blocking
or not. So that is something that cannot be easily fixed in xdg-open.

> > I see several options here:
> > * forget about compressed documentation
> > PDF since format 1.4 has internal compression, meaning that
> > the other compression does not win a lot at all
> > We could advise packagers to use dh_compress -X.pdf
>
> I'm not sure, but wouldn't it be better to change dh_compress to do
> the right thing and use the pdf format internal compression instead of
> running gzip?

THat is not something dh_compress can do, that is pdf creation time.
I guess there *might* be a way to recompress pdfs, but that is dangerous
at least I guess.

Best wishes