-   -   3D acceleration in virtual machines (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/690747-3d-acceleration-virtual-machines.html)

intrigeri 08-04-2012 07:23 PM

3D acceleration in virtual machines

Hi,

Ben Hutchings wrote (04 Aug 2012 17:28:19 GMT) :
> This is expected in the absence of 3D acceleration, which is not yet
> supported in qemu so far as I know.

With a virtual QXL video adapter in the guest,
xserver-xorg-video-qxl installed in the guest,
and a Spice -enabled virtualization environment (e.g. via libvirt),
then 3D "acceleration" (that is, offload to the host system) should
be supported.
IIRC that's exactly one of the usecases this stack was developed for.
Last time I (quickly) tried, it did not work out of the box on
Wheezy, though.

See http://www.spice-space.org/ for details.

Cheers!

Josh Triplett 08-05-2012 08:46 AM

intrigeri wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote (04 Aug 2012 17:28:19 GMT) :
> > This is expected in the absence of 3D acceleration, which is not yet
> > supported in qemu so far as I know.
>
> With a virtual QXL video adapter in the guest,
> xserver-xorg-video-qxl installed in the guest,
> and a Spice -enabled virtualization environment (e.g. via libvirt),
> then 3D "acceleration" (that is, offload to the host system) should
> be supported.
> IIRC that's exactly one of the usecases this stack was developed for.

As far as I know, QXL and SPICE don't support 3D acceleration yet, just better
2D acceleration (and many other things, like clipboard and audio).

http://spice-space.org/page/Features/3D

> Last time I (quickly) tried, it did not work out of the box on
> Wheezy, though.

- Josh Triplett