Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Josselin Mouette

Default Debian Installer 7.0 Beta1 release

Le samedi 04 aoĂ»t 2012 Ă* 20:41 +0200, Cyril Brulebois a Ă©crit :
> If one enabled “3D acceleration” in the VM config, Gnome 3 shows up in
> normal mode; if one didn't, it shows up in fallback mode (one can see
> Gallium llvmpipe as graphic driver in the gnome system properties,
> instead of Chromium).

BTW if you think llvmpipe is ready in squeeze, we can add it to the
whitelist too.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le dimanche 05 aoűt 2012 ŕ 10:37 +0200, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> BTW if you think llvmpipe is ready in squeeze, we can add it to the
> whitelist too.

I mean in wheezy of course.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> (05/08/2012):
> On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 23:45 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > So we require 3d acceleration for a default install?
>
> I think what you'll see without it is a one-time warning. I could be
> wrong since I haven't done a fresh installation yet.

That is correct: one-time warning only.

For those who care, or would want to avoid this for the first login of
their numerous users, that seems to be happening on the gnome-session
side [gnome-session/gsm-manager.cossibly_show_fallback_dialog()], and
stored in dconf:

[org/gnome/gnome-session]
show-fallback-warning=false

So the “false” value can be “preseeded” this way:
dconf write /org/gnome/gnome-session/show-fallback-warning false

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> (05/08/2012):
> Le dimanche 05 aoĂ»t 2012 Ă* 10:37 +0200, Josselin Mouette a Ă©crit :
> > BTW if you think llvmpipe is ready in squeeze, we can add it to the
> > whitelist too.
>
> I mean in wheezy of course.

From a one-minute test within virtualbox w/o 3D acceleration, and with
llvmpipe taken out of the blacklist, I don't think this is a good idea.
(Glitches/flickering everywhere…)

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Sam Morris

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 20:16:32 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le samedi 04 aoĂ»t 2012 Ă* 18:28 +0100, Ben Hutchings a Ă©crit :
>> This is expected in the absence of 3D acceleration, which is not yet
>> supported in qemu so far as I know. VirtualBox is supposed to support
>> it, but a standard installation presumably won't pull in the necessary
>> paravirtual drivers in the guest.
>
> At least with squeeze, this used to work, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t
> anymore.
>
> However I don’t know whether the vbox paravirtualized drivers are
> whitelisted in gnome-session-check-accelerated.

The string "Chromium" is not listed in /usr/share/gnome-session/hardware-
compatibility, so the VirtualBox guest additions are neither white nor
blacklisted. However, in my experience, gnome-shell 3.4 is unusable on
VirtualBox. I filed a bug with the details at <https://www.virtualbox.org/
ticket/9581>.

In case it matters, I use Debian on two desktops, both inside VirtualBox
VMs running on top of Windows 7 x64. Both systems have ATI graphics cards
(one a Radeon HD 4980, and the other a Radeon HD 5850).

OTOH, the software rendering in both the Fedora 17 and GNOME 3.4 Live CDs
works perfectly inside VirtualBox (well, at least for a few minutes of
testing). In both cases the renderer is reported as "Gallium 0.4 on
llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)". However, these Live CDs do not include the
VirtualBox guest additions, and I have no idea how to enable Gallium on
Debian, so I can't test on my regular VM that has VirtualBox's regular 2d
acceleration set up. If someone can point me in the right direction then
I'll test it right now!

--
Sam

Old 08-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Sam Morris

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 10:58:24 +0000, Sam Morris wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 20:16:32 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>
>> Le samedi 04 aoĂ»t 2012 Ă* 18:28 +0100, Ben Hutchings a Ă©crit :
>>> This is expected in the absence of 3D acceleration, which is not yet
>>> supported in qemu so far as I know. VirtualBox is supposed to support
>>> it, but a standard installation presumably won't pull in the necessary
>>> paravirtual drivers in the guest.
>>
>> At least with squeeze, this used to work, so I don’t see why it
>> wouldn’t anymore.
>>
>> However I don’t know whether the vbox paravirtualized drivers are
>> whitelisted in gnome-session-check-accelerated.
>
> The string "Chromium" is not listed in
> /usr/share/gnome-session/hardware- compatibility, so the VirtualBox
> guest additions are neither white nor blacklisted. However, in my
> experience, gnome-shell 3.4 is unusable on VirtualBox. I filed a bug
> with the details at <https://www.virtualbox.org/
> ticket/9581>.
>
> In case it matters, I use Debian on two desktops, both inside VirtualBox
> VMs running on top of Windows 7 x64. Both systems have ATI graphics
> cards (one a Radeon HD 4980, and the other a Radeon HD 5850).
>
> OTOH, the software rendering in both the Fedora 17 and GNOME 3.4 Live
> CDs works perfectly inside VirtualBox (well, at least for a few minutes
> of testing). In both cases the renderer is reported as "Gallium 0.4 on
> llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)". However, these Live CDs do not include the
> VirtualBox guest additions, and I have no idea how to enable Gallium on
> Debian, so I can't test on my regular VM that has VirtualBox's regular
> 2d acceleration set up. If someone can point me in the right direction
> then I'll test it right now!

I figured it out. The instructions at <http://www.mesa3d.org/
llvmpipe.html> seem to work. I had some difficulty getting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to stick, however... setting it from a script in /etc/X11/
Xsession.d doesn't work as it's reset by the time I log in. Eventually I
logged in to a virtual console, set the variable, fired up X by hand and
ran gnome-shell. The result is very buggy. I don't know if that's because
mesa 8.0.4 (or one of its build dependencies) is too old, or whether
something is being built wrong.

--
Sam

Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Neil Williams

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:41:31 +0200
Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

> A virtualbox host environment would be detected automatically, and the
> following packages would get installed in that case:
> virtualbox-guest-dkms
> virtualbox-guest-utils
> virtualbox-guest-x11
> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

$ dpkg-query -W virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils
virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

virtualbox-guest-dkms 4.1.18-dfsg-1
virtualbox-guest-utils 4.1.18-dfsg-1
virtualbox-guest-x11 4.1.18-dfsg-1
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 4.1.18-dfsg-1

> If one enabled “3D acceleration” in the VM config, Gnome 3 shows up in
> normal mode

3D acceleration is enabled for this VM but GNOME3 doesn't work for me.

I have tried simply rebooting the VM (to simulate someone adding
relevant hardware to a desktop PC) and I've tried re-running the
installer. No change, no support.

Lenovo Thinkpad T410.

I did once have GNOME3 running on this machine outside a VM, so the
hardware is capable of providing 3D acceleration - indeed, it was the
user experience of using 3D which turned me off GNOME3 in the first
place. Sorry, but my display is 2D and all the software pretence in the
world isn't going to suddenly make it 3D.

>; if one didn't, it shows up in fallback mode (one can see
> Gallium llvmpipe as graphic driver in the gnome system properties,
> instead of Chromium).

Still got Gallium llvmpipe listed.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Thomas Goirand

On 08/06/2012 01:59 AM, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:41:31 +0200
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
>

>> A virtualbox host environment would be detected automatically, and the
>> following packages would get installed in that case:
>> virtualbox-guest-dkms
>> virtualbox-guest-utils
>> virtualbox-guest-x11
>> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
>>
> $ dpkg-query -W virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils
> virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
>
> virtualbox-guest-dkms 4.1.18-dfsg-1
> virtualbox-guest-utils 4.1.18-dfsg-1
> virtualbox-guest-x11 4.1.18-dfsg-1
> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 4.1.18-dfsg-1
>

>> If one enabled “3D acceleration” in the VM config, Gnome 3 shows up in
>> normal mode
>>
> 3D acceleration is enabled for this VM but GNOME3 doesn't work for me.

Same experience here.

Thomas

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Julien Cristau

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:54:16 +0000, Sam Morris wrote:

> I figured it out. The instructions at <http://www.mesa3d.org/
> llvmpipe.html> seem to work. I had some difficulty getting
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to stick, however... setting it from a script in /etc/X11/
> Xsession.d doesn't work as it's reset by the time I log in. Eventually I
> logged in to a virtual console, set the variable, fired up X by hand and
> ran gnome-shell. The result is very buggy. I don't know if that's because
> mesa 8.0.4 (or one of its build dependencies) is too old, or whether
> something is being built wrong.

A few things I can think of:
- f17 seems to build against llvm 3.0, we use 2.9
- there's a few patches in
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mesa.git/tree/?h=f17 if updating
llvm isn't enough.

I'd be interested in the results.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Sam Morris

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 10:26 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:54:16 +0000, Sam Morris wrote:
>
> > I figured it out. The instructions at <http://www.mesa3d.org/
> > llvmpipe.html> seem to work. I had some difficulty getting
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH to stick, however... setting it from a script in /etc/X11/
> > Xsession.d doesn't work as it's reset by the time I log in. Eventually I
> > logged in to a virtual console, set the variable, fired up X by hand and
> > ran gnome-shell. The result is very buggy. I don't know if that's because
> > mesa 8.0.4 (or one of its build dependencies) is too old, or whether
> > something is being built wrong.
> >
> A few things I can think of:
> - f17 seems to build against llvm 3.0, we use 2.9
> - there's a few patches in
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mesa.git/tree/?h=f17 if updating
> llvm isn't enough.
>
> I'd be interested in the results.
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

IIRC I built mesa with 3.0. I'll take a look at the patches. I also just
realised that I didn't run the X server with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set... is
that a problem, or is it just the clients that need the llvmpipe
libGL.so.1? Sorry for the dumb question, but my understanding of how all
the different bits of mesa/dri fit together is rather poor...

--
Sam Morris <sam@robots.org.uk>