Old 08-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Josselin Mouette

Default tasksel: Default desktop: Gnome→Xfce

Le samedi 04 août 2012 * 15:06 +0100, Steve McIntyre a écrit :
> We don't *yet*. The code is there (as mentioned in the DebConf BoF),
> but I've not yet seen a consensus over exactly what people
> want. Currently, I'm thinking an extra 2GB image would be useful. We
> *do* already have a 4GB image (the first DVD image is deliberately
> down-sized to 4GB) and CD#1 is close-ish to 1GB.

Well, 1 GB would be enough to hold a standard desktop installation,
while 650 MB is not. That makes a difference.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Christian PERRIER

Quoting Josselin Mouette (joss@debian.org):

> Well, 1 GB would be enough to hold a standard desktop installation,
> while 650 MB is not. That makes a difference.

It will be hard to know whether dropping support for "real" CD
installs does hurt some users or not, anyway.

Those who will speak, in -devel or -boot, will be DDs, DMs, or regular
Debian contributors. I really fail to see *any* of these running into
a problem because they can't install Debian with a CD (a physical CD).

So, who will be hurt by dropping support for install with one CD?
In theory, those people lost somewhere in a world of bad connectivity,
where installs cannot really rely on a working network (I still
remember a Debian installation workshop that I tried running during
the rainy season in India......with power, and network, failing every
now and then).

Those will do such installs with lend over, or copied, DVDs and,
anyway, there is nearly no way we can get their advice about the pain
caused by dropping 650MB CD images.

That's very probably a very tiny fraction of our users and, here, we
probably can't be universal.

So, I'd vote for dropping these 650MB images. By keeping them, we hurt
ourselves much more than we're doing any good.

As Joss says, 1GB images seem to be the best choice (unless there
would be great benefit in jumping to 2GB images immediately).

Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer

On Sun 05 Aug 2012 04:43:58 Christian PERRIER escribió:
[snip]
> So, who will be hurt by dropping support for install with one CD?
> In theory, those people lost somewhere in a world of bad connectivity,
> where installs cannot really rely on a working network (I still
> remember a Debian installation workshop that I tried running during
> the rainy season in India......with power, and network, failing every
> now and then).
>
> Those will do such installs with lend over, or copied, DVDs and,
> anyway, there is nearly no way we can get their advice about the pain
> caused by dropping 650MB CD images.
>
> That's very probably a very tiny fraction of our users and, here, we
> probably can't be universal.

For whatI've seen, people who can get a CD image can also get a DVD image for
installations without network. And even here in argentina you can't buy a CD-
ROM-only player since (at very least) a couple of years.

> So, I'd vote for dropping these 650MB images. By keeping them, we hurt
> ourselves much more than we're doing any good.

My vote goes there too.

> As Joss says, 1GB images seem to be the best choice (unless there
> would be great benefit in jumping to 2GB images immediately).

Well, 2GB flash drives seems to be the most common minimum size for what I
know.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

--
14: Para acceder y navegar en internet