Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Default tasksel: Default desktop: Gnome→Xfce (was: How to proceed with switching packages on first CDs to xz?)

Hello,

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> (03/08/2012):
> I was wondering how to proceed with switching packages on the first CDs
> to use xz compression. I have prepared a list of binary packages which
> would benefit the most from switching, see [1].

or we could just do nothing but reviewing the following tasksel change
by Joey Hess [1], since apparently we have well-defined procedures for
that:
| commit 2a962cc65cdba010177f27e8824ba10d9a799a08
| Author: Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>
| Date: Sat Jul 28 12:21:22 2012 -0400
|
| switch default desktop task to xfce
|
| This ensures that the desktop will fit on CD#1, which gnome currently does not.
|
| There may be other reasons to prefer xfce as the default as well, but that
| is a complex and subjective topic. Unfortunatly, Debian does not have a
| well-defined procedure for making such choices, though it certianly has
| well-defined procedures for reviewing them. So, I've decided to be bold,
| and continue the tradition of making an arbitrary desktop selection for
| Debian in tasksel.

1. http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tasksel/tasksel.git;a=commit;h=2a962cc65cdba010177f27e8824 ba10d9a799a08

Mraw,
KiBi.