Old 08-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Default How to proceed with switching packages on first CDs to xz?

Hi,

I was wondering how to proceed with switching packages on the first CDs
to use xz compression. I have prepared a list of binary packages which
would benefit the most from switching, see [1].

My suggestion is to now switch the default compression for GNOME and KDE
packages to xz using gnome-pkg-tools (pkg-kde-tools) and then either
schedule binNMUs (only arch:any packages) or no-changes uploads (for
arch:all or Multi-Arch). I would help with the latter if you agree me
doing +build1 uploads that are not recorded in the VCS.

Packages not using these central mechanisms would get a bug report
asking to switch to xz and eventually a NMU.

I would like to limit these uploads to a, packages with Priority:
optional and extra, and b, those where we gain at least 500 kB
additional space.

So unless somebody sees a problem with this, could the GNOME and KDE
teams prepare and upload the changes to {gnome-pkg,pkg-kde}-tools?

Ansgar

[1] <http://people.debian.org/~ansgar/wheezy-cd-with-xz/>
Format: <binary> <space-savings-in-kB> <total-savings-in-kB>
Data might be outdated slightly.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Adam Borowski

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 04:58:02PM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> I was wondering how to proceed with switching packages on the first CDs
> to use xz compression.
>
> I would like to limit these uploads to a, packages with Priority:
> optional and extra, and b, those where we gain at least 500 kB
> additional space.

I hope this limit is only because of the hassle of NMU+migration, and for
jessie we'd have everything (except possibly base) in xz.

--
Copyright and patents were never about promoting culture and innovations;
from the very start they were legalized bribes to give the king some income

Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
> My suggestion is to now switch the default compression for GNOME and KDE
> packages to xz using gnome-pkg-tools (pkg-kde-tools) and then either
> schedule binNMUs (only arch:any packages) or no-changes uploads (for
> arch:all or Multi-Arch). I would help with the latter if you agree me
> doing +build1 uploads that are not recorded in the VCS.

I prepared patches for cdbs (gnome.mk)[1] and pkg-kde-tools[2] to use xz
compression by default. This affects 286 (GNOME[3]) resp. 204 (KDE[4])
source packages; all binaries are Priority: optional or extra.

[1] <http://bugs.debian.org/683819>
[2] <http://bugs.debian.org/657243>
[3] <http://people.debian.org/~ansgar/wheezy-cd-with-xz/sources-using-gnome.mk.txt>
[4] <http://people.debian.org/~ansgar/wheezy-cd-with-xz/sources-using-pkg-kde-tools.txt>

Not all packages will be rebuilt before the release, so some might
change compression should they be updated later. As this does only
affect a subset of packages, I hope the release team is okay with this.

Once the patches are applied, I would like to start rebuilding a few
packages taken from the top of my earlier list:

GNOME:
brasero 1320
empathy 1574
eog 821
epiphany-browser 1175
evince 3308
evolution-data-server 1283
gconf 965
gnome-control-center 2036
gnome-keyring 861
gnome-panel 1444
gnome-settings-daemon 889
gnome-terminal 1653
gnome-user-docs 2885
gtk+3.0 3642
libgweather 1827
metacity 823
nautilus 2223
totem 1147

KDE:
kde4libs 718
kde-runtime 1360
kde-workspace 2352
kdenetwork 1844
kdepim 7259
qt4-x11 2195
qtwebkit 2697

OTHER (file bug report, upload to DELAYED/5):
app-install-data 1489
geoip-database 1323
gnome-disk-utility 1212
gnome-packagekit 1211
gtk+2.0 3721
icu 3309
iso-codes 1871
libav 600
mutt 739
mysql-5.5 2283
nss 844
oxygencursors 3326
pulseaudio 559
samba 558
vlc 3970
webkit 2644
xkb-data 559

I have indicated the space savings in kB, but they are mostly only for a
single binary built from the named source. The space savings are about
50 MB for the GNOME CD and over 32 MB for the KDE CD (more as each
source produces many binaries).

As mentioned I plan to do no-changes source uploads for arch:all and
Multi-Arch packages; arch:any should get a binNMU.

Once this first round of uploads is complete, we can take a look if we
need a bit more space or if this is already enough.

Ansgar