Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Christian Perrier

Default (English-speaking) Canadian users: default to US or "Canadian multilingual" keymap?

I'm seeking advices for #475482.

console-data recently got a new keymap, namely "ca-multi", which
features the "Canadian multilingual" keymap. This keymap is
standardized by standard bodies in Canada and seems to be available
from several hardware vendors.

My understanding is that local official bodies are required to use
this keymap (particularly in Quebec....but the standard seems to apply
to the entire country). On the other hand, it is pretty leikely that
English-speaking users in Canada traditionnally use the US keymap (see
#475482).

The point is whether the *default* keymap preselected in D-I should be
"us" or "ca-multi" when English+Canada is chosen. That keymap choice
also influences the X keymap choice.

That could be a sensitive choice (linguistic topics in Canada always
are), which is why I'm seeking for more advice, particularly from
Canadian users (or users living in Canada).