Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 PM

Default Feature request: ipmi

Hi List,

I have a feature request for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features : ipmi functionality.

An immediate feature would be the ability to include freeipmi-bmc-watchdog. This would allow administrators to use the service processor/bmc to detect/report a stuck install.

Future use would be to have anaconda run ipmi commands to log install status: start, step completed, success, failure. Therefore having the service processor aware of the install status.

I assume this is accomplished by including the ipmi driver and ipmitool/freeipmi packages in the stage 2 image. I am in the process of familiarizing myself with the wiki:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/SourceOverview
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Stage2DevelopmentGuide

Thanks,
Jeff Mendoza
Software Engineer
Dell | Linux OS Engineering

Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Vratislav Podzimek

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 16:55 -0500, Jeffrey_L_Mendoza@dell.com wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have a feature request for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features : ipmi functionality.
>
> An immediate feature would be the ability to include freeipmi-bmc-watchdog. This would allow administrators to use the service processor/bmc to detect/report a stuck install.
>
> Future use would be to have anaconda run ipmi commands to log install status: start, step completed, success, failure. Therefore having the service processor aware of the install status.
>
> I assume this is accomplished by including the ipmi driver and ipmitool/freeipmi packages in the stage 2 image. I am in the process of familiarizing myself with the wiki:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/SourceOverview
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Stage2DevelopmentGuide
Please note that many major changes were not reflected to these wiki
pages. I would recommend you to look directly at the code, in particular
the 'newui' branch in the git repository.

--
Vratislav Podzimek

Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Jon Stanley

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Vratislav Podzimek <vpodzime@redhat.com> wrote:

> Please note that many major changes were not reflected to these wiki
> pages. I would recommend you to look directly at the code, in particular
> the 'newui' branch in the git repository.

I've requested an IPMI stack in Anaconda before (via support
contacts), and the request was declined. However, I think I was
successful at getting tcpdump added in. We use the IPMI tools in order
to setup the BMC in %pre for non-enterprise class machines - that's
the only way we've got to remotely powercycle, etc.

Quite a bummer, actually - means that I have to go put the right bits
in squashfs.img and redo it for every release. Haven't checked in
recent Fedora releases to see if it somehow made it back (it was there
in RHEL5).

Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Hi All,

As an update to this, instead of using freeipmi bmc-watchdog, we can simply use systemd

So we will need these before anaconda starts:
1. ipmi_watchdog, ipmi_devintf, ipmi_si, ipmi_msghandler loaded when anaconda starts. OpenIPMI package contains a systemd script for this already - ipmi.service. ipmi_watchdog will ensure that /dev/watchdog is created (via udev). We will also need to set /etc/sysconfig/ipmi:IPMI_WATCHDOG=yes
2. we have to setup systemd to be the watchdog daemon that uses /dev/watchdog. All we need for this to work is /etc/systemd/system.conf should set:
RuntimeWatchdogSec=120
This will ensure that the service-processor will wait for 120s of no ping activity from systemd and reset the system.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Chris Lumens

> As an update to this, instead of using freeipmi bmc-watchdog, we can simply use systemd
>
> So we will need these before anaconda starts:
> 1. ipmi_watchdog, ipmi_devintf, ipmi_si, ipmi_msghandler loaded when anaconda starts. OpenIPMI package contains a systemd script for this already - ipmi.service. ipmi_watchdog will ensure that /dev/watchdog is created (via udev). We will also need to set /etc/sysconfig/ipmi:IPMI_WATCHDOG=yes
> 2. we have to setup systemd to be the watchdog daemon that uses /dev/watchdog. All we need for this to work is /etc/systemd/system.conf should set:
> RuntimeWatchdogSec=120
> This will ensure that the service-processor will wait for 120s of no ping activity from systemd and reset the system.

I don't know that anyone here has time to make this a priority
(especially given that I don't think we have hardware/infrastructure to
test with), but it should be easy for you to write patches and we would
be happy to review them.

- Chris