Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez

Default Debian stickers

On 22/07/12 04:41, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Such Debian stickers would make no sense without certification. A hardware
> certification can only be done if we have the necessary software to do it.
> We don't have it (yet), so let's discuss that instead, then when we have
> it, we may talk about Debian stickers.
>
> I had then intention, about a year ago, to write a small GUI, that would
> run dimdecode, lspci, lsusb, attempt to play sound, see if there's mass
> storage (HDD, etc.) and see if there's network connectivity. Once all
> that would be done, all of these result would be sent to a central Debian
> server, collecting all of these information. If no network is available,
> there would be the possibility to save these as a file, then it would be
> the responsibility of the user to send it to the central server. This
> small app would then be added to Debian Live, so that OEM makers would be
> able to try Debian on their hardware.

There is a software called OCS Inventory that does exactly what you are
looking for. The agent collects hardware information from the machine
automatically and reports all this information to a central server. Also
the agent runs on all kind of operating systems (Windows) so you can ask
OEMs to run the agent on their machines by simply running a ".exe" (I
guess its easy for them). In case there is no network the agent can
generate a report to be copied and sent later via e-mail (for example).

Also the kind of information that gathers the agent and the tests that
it performs can be configured and extended via plugins (a shell script)
so you can make it for example play a sound, and show a dialog window
(zenity) asking the user if he was able to hear the sound.

http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/en/about/features/plugins.html

> I had the idea and I think I would have the necessary skills to write
> such GUI (both client and server side). But frankly, I had a look (once
> more) at the QT and GTK tookits, and reading the documentation makes me
> sick considering how lame all that is (disclaimer: I began my professional
> carrier writing GUI cores, so I have enough knowledge to be able to say
> that QT and GTK sux). So even with some efforts, I haven't been able to
> convince myself to write some code that does a bit more than just opening
> a window.
>
> So, either someone stands and write the above in QT or GTK, or someone
> points at a decent GUI toolkit (hint: this *must* include a GUI editor
> working with a mouse, like I've been using since the late 80ies on Atari
> computers...) and I make the effort.

Perhaps a simple approach with shell scripts and zenity for the GUI
could work.