Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 AM
"Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS)"

Default Collaborative maintenance of mime-support (was Using FreeDesktop MIME entries directly in mime-support).

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 09:27 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> how about the following (inspired by http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep2/)
>
> Maintainer: mime-support@packages.debian.org
> Uploaders:
> Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) <gcs@debian.org>,
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>,
Hope Brian will also join. May we add you?

> I propose the following action plan.
>
> 0) We subscribe to the PTS (done for me).
For me as well, I assume Brian is also subscribed.

> 1) Upload to experimental an adopted package with the updated maintainer and
> uploaders list, the VCS fields updated, and the patch for #497779 applied.
+1

> 2) Install in Alioth's collab-maint a git repository made with the --debsnap
> option of git-import-dscs, unless we try to go deeper in time ? Set up
> commits emails to go to the PTS.
I've created an empty git collab-maint repository on Alioth, still not
visible over the web interface. As I know, it just need some time. Made
the config to send commits to the PTS. So, how deep should be the
package import? The full history from snapshot.debian.org or just the
last upload is enough? We will have the file history, but not the
comment why happened and what.

> 3) Make crystal clear in the source package's READMEs that uncoordinated
> commits are an abuse of the collab-maint Alioth group. But perhaps
> we can allow developers to create topic branches related to bugs in the BTS
> if they like ?
+1 , but I assume you know that others may create free and public git
trees elsewhere, for example on GitHub. They may send a merge request
when their work is done. The tree is still visible, separated and can be
merged if needed.

> 4) Postpone any other change on the main branch until either #681687 (tech.
> comittee) is solved or Wheezy released.
+1

> Lastly, I would like to thank Brian for his impressively 16-years long work on
> mime-support. Brian, feel free to stay among the uploaders !
I join as well. Thanks Brian for your previous work! Hope you will be
still close to the package and the recent events don't turn you down.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS

Old 07-17-2012, 03:51 PM
"Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS)"

Answering to my own mail.

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 05:38 +0000, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 09:27 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > 2) Install in Alioth's collab-maint a git repository made with the --debsnap
> > option of git-import-dscs, unless we try to go deeper in time ? Set up
> > commits emails to go to the PTS.
> I've created an empty git collab-maint repository on Alioth, still not
> visible over the web interface. As I know, it just need some time.
It is now visible:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/mime-support.git;a=summary
Empty at the moment. I used git-debimport , the result is at GitHub for
review: https://github.com/gcsideal/mime-support
If it's OK, I'll rebase to git.debian.org .

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS

Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Brian White

Lastly, I would like to thank Brian for his impressively 16-years long work on

mime-support. *Brian, feel free to stay among the uploaders !

Thanks. *I wish I had the energy to make some of the much-needed changes but I'm just not involved with the project enough these days to have a good feel for how it should be improved.

Make it great!
* Brian* bcwhite@pobox.com------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat someone as they are and they will remain that way.
Treat someone as they can be and they will become that way.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 03:51:55PM +0000, Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) a écrit :

> It is now visible:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/mime-support.git;a=summary

Dear all,

I have uploaded to mime-support version 3.53_experimental1 to experimental.

As discussed earlier, me and Laszlo strictly limited the changes to the
adoption of the package, the transfer of its source in collab-maint, and the
addition of a triggered parsing of Desktop entries to populate /etc/mailcap.
Many thanks to Brian M. Carlson for the patch !

We did not have that much time to make extensive tests. On my computer, I did
not suffer from the lack of a mailcap entry for evince, so please, people
concerned with #658139, test the package and let us know what you think.

If there is a consensus for uploading to Unstable and ask for a freeze exception,
we will.

Here is a link to the diff with the previous version:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/mime-support.git;a=commitdiff;hp=3.52-1;h=3.53_experimental1

Here is a link to the build log:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/mime-support.git;a=blob;f=amd64.log;h=9a0dace97c2ddd49a 03e7c97428cae945ca5f0b0;hb=uploads

(And my apologises for messing with the changelog for my first upload of a
high-priority package... in contrary of what is written, it was really
uploaded ot experimental...)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan

Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Andreas Tille

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 09:27:39AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> We did not have that much time to make extensive tests. On my computer, I did
> not suffer from the lack of a mailcap entry for evince, so please, people
> concerned with #658139, test the package and let us know what you think.
>
> If there is a consensus for uploading to Unstable and ask for a freeze exception,
> we will.

I can confirm that the issue I reported in #658139 will be solved by this package.

Many thanks to all people involved into this

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de