-   -   Using FreeDesktop MIME entries directly in mime-support ( Fixing the mime horror ini Debian). (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/684006-using-freedesktop-mime-entries-directly-mime-support-fixing-mime-horror-ini-debian.html)

Charles Plessy 07-16-2012 12:50 AM

Using FreeDesktop MIME entries directly in mime-support ( Fixing the mime horror ini Debian).

Hello everybody,

http://bugs.debian.org/497779 contains a patch for the mime-support package to
solve this problem for every package that provides a .desktop file but no
mailcap entry. The mime-support package has been orphaned last week.

Wouldn't one of the following solutions be acceptable for you ?

- Add the function to mime-support in Wheezy to update /etc/mailcap using
the FreeDesktop menu entry files in /usr/share/applications via dpkg
triggers.

- Do this in Sid, and add back the MIME entries in evince in Wheezy as a
temporary compromise.

If nobody else volunteers, I propose to start a maintenance group for the
mime-support package, that I would store in a Git repository on Alioth's
collab-maint group.

My background in MIME support is that I maintain packages that declare MIME
types, I keep track of MIME support in the Policy (http://bugs.debian.org/661816),
and I wrote much of the MimeTypesSupport page on the Debian wiki
(http://wiki.debian.org/MimeTypesSupport).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy