Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 AM
Aliaksei Sheshka

Default Multilicense `debian/copyright` file

Hi debian-devel list!
Please help me to write a proper `debian/copyright` file.Original*COPYING file says:
Several parties hold copyright to various parts of IRRToolSet. *One or more
of the following licenses may apply to the code contained within thisdistribution.1. USC (and occasionally USC/IBM) license.....2. RIPE NCC license
....3. GNU General Public License version 2...
What should put in the*`debian/copyright` then ?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:42 AM
Yao Wei

It is required to look into each file header and specify these
different files for each license.

Yao Wei

Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Craig Small

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 01:09:21AM -0400, Aliaksei Sheshka wrote:
> Hi debian-devel list!
> Please help me to write a proper `debian/copyright` file.
> Original COPYING file says:
> Several parties hold copyright to various parts of IRRToolSet. One or
> more
> of the following licenses may apply to the code contained within this
> distribution.
> 1. USC (and occasionally USC/IBM) license
> 2. RIPE NCC license
> 3. GNU General Public License version 2
> What should put in the `debian/copyright` then ?
You got to love old software with its horribly confusing and mishmash of
licenses!

The USC license is an expat style license. The RIPE NCC one is a mit
style one so they should be compatible with GPL v2.

Oh by the way they are wrong about GPL in their COPYING file.
Have a look at src/dataset/unsigned.Set.cc:

software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of
the GNU Library General Public License as published by the Free
Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your
option) any later version.

I have no idea why they have parts of the C library in the source code.
Anyhow, you probably need to collect all the license types and authors
and group them somehow.

Good luck, it looks a little messy in there!

- Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ http://enc.com.au/ csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org/ csmall at : debian.org

Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 01:09:21AM -0400, Aliaksei Sheshka a écrit :
> Hi debian-devel list!
>
> Please help me to write a proper `debian/copyright` file.
> Original COPYING file says:
>
> Several parties hold copyright to various parts of IRRToolSet. One or more
> of the following licenses may apply to the code contained within this
> distribution.
> 1. USC (and occasionally USC/IBM) license
> 2. RIPE NCC license
> 3. GNU General Public License version 2
>
> What should put in the `debian/copyright` then ?

Dear Aliaksei,

your question is more suited for the debian-mentors@lists.d.o list, so I am
transferring the discussion there.

The Debian Policy's section 12.5 describes the requirements for
the Debian copyright file.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s-copyrightfile

Note that it is not required to list exhaustively which file names correspond
to which license, and that years of publication for one copyright holder may be
gathered together.

If you want to browse many Debian copyright files, you can have a look
at the following repository:

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/collab-qa/packages-metadata/

(More information about this project at http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata )

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan

Old 07-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Simon McVittie

On 14/07/12 07:25, Craig Small wrote:
> Have a look at src/dataset/unsigned.Set.cc:
>
> [...] you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of
> the GNU Library General Public License [...]
>
> I have no idea why they have parts of the C library in the source code.

The extra permissions given by the LGPL aren't directly relevant to
non-libraries, but it's sometimes still useful to release non-library
source under LGPL, because if you do, it's possible to copy it into an
LGPL library later without getting permission from every copyright
holder to change the license.

The Telepathy project releases some applications under the LGPL, so that
we can prototype future library modules in the first application that
will use them, then copy them into our C library (also LGPL) after their
API/ABI becomes stable.