Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Ben Hutchings

Default Fixing the mime horror ini Debian

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 15:05 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 13 juillet 2012 à 14:26 +0200, George Danchev a écrit :
> > > It you want to make xdg-open useable for everything, please also
> > > add a way to specify the mime type as option. Without that using
> > > it for opening mail attachements or stuff downloaded (i.e. things
> > > that already show a mime type before you open it) is simply
> > > introducing a security bug.
>
> It is much better to let xdg-open or what it launches determine the MIME
> type by inspecting the contents of the file instead of reading the MIME
> type from an email, anyway.
[...]

The MIME type should be determined once and then used consistently
thereafter, rather than being determined again according to possibly
different rules. This seems to mean that in some cases it will be
necessary to specify the MIME type to xdg-open.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Robert Coveyou

Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Ian Jackson

Andreas Tille writes ("Re: Fixing the mime horror ini Debian"):
> Or see #658139 - and I wonder if this bug should be made RC because
> kittens will die if we would release without having fixed this.

It does seem quite annoying. Have you considered asking the release
team whether they would be inclined to agree that this bug is RC ?

Or you could ask the TC too of course.

Ian.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Andreas Tille

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:05:37PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Andreas Tille writes ("Re: Fixing the mime horror ini Debian"):
> > Or see #658139 - and I wonder if this bug should be made RC because
> > kittens will die if we would release without having fixed this.
>
> It does seem quite annoying. Have you considered asking the release
> team whether they would be inclined to agree that this bug is RC ?

I'd be willing to do so but there was no clear consensus in the previous
discussion about the severity of this.

> Or you could ask the TC too of course.

Which one would you consider the more appropriate action to do?
I volunteer to take this action.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Neil McGovern

severity 658139 serious
reassign 658139 evince
tags 658139 + patch
retitle 658139 missing mime entry

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 12:09:27AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > It does seem quite annoying. Have you considered asking the release
> > team whether they would be inclined to agree that this bug is RC ?
>
> I'd be willing to do so but there was no clear consensus in the previous
> discussion about the severity of this.

This bug seems to fall between a couple of stalls. I believe that
not shipping this file will harm the release overall as I suspect users
would very much like PDFs to open from programs like this.

Hence, I consider this bug serious and thus RC, and am reassigning to evince.

Feel free to pop it over to tech-ctte if you don't agree.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 07-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Neil McGovern

severity 658139 serious
clone 658139 -1
reassign -1 tech-ctte
block 658139 by -1
thanks

Hi Michael,

As per http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities, the severity of
this bug is serious as in the release manager's opinion, this makes the
package unsuitable for release. Please do NOT simply downgrade this to
wishlist a third time, especially without explanation.

I have already said that you should re-assign to tech-ctte if you're not
happy with this, and instead a wontfix tag has been given to the bug.

Thus, I am reassigning to tech-ctte to ask if they wish to overrule this
decision.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Philipp Kern

Neil,

am Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 09:31:53AM -0600 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> As per http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities, the severity of
> this bug is serious as in the release manager's opinion, this makes the
> package unsuitable for release. Please do NOT simply downgrade this to
> wishlist a third time, especially without explanation.

you should state your hat next time, though. You already refered to other mails
of yours on -release as your personal opinion. If you exercise the RM hat,
write it down.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Norbert Preining

Hi Josselin,

On Fr, 13 Jul 2012, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> The freedesktop MIME system (which applies for GNOME, Xfce and LXDE)
> allows to specify defaults for every given MIME type. However, it is
> not realistic to agree in Debian as a whole on a set of defaults.

But why doesn't it work not even in gnome?

> This is why GNOME sets default associations for GNOME sessions: this is
> the /etc/gnome/defaults.list file. Therefore the behavior you describe

lists application/pdf=evince.desktop

> should not happen in a GNOME session – unless you start it through a
> custom .xsession.
>
> That’s for GNOME.

Ok, I am talking about starting the default GNOME session from a gdm3.
That is booting into the system, waiting to gdm3 to appear, selecting
GNOME from the dropdown list, type in my name and password and go.

I don't know what that means, but I expect it to work.

I digged into the guts and I *cannot* find any reasonalb explanation:
- all defaults are set to evince
- xdg-mime query gives me evince
- straceing gvfs-open and checking all opened files I only see proper
application/pdf entries pointint to evince

But: If I do:
python -c 'import gio; f = gio.File("file:/home/norbert/foo.pdf");print f.query_default_handler();'

I get:
<gio.unix.DesktopAppInfo at 0x7ff914c3b910: File Manager>
uggg.

When I do something similar with perl I get a bit more information,
namely that it seems that there is no default?
$ cat testmime.pl
use strict;
use File::MimeInfo;
use File::MimeInfo::Applications;
my $mime_type = mimetype("/home/norbert/foo.pdf");
print "mime type = $mime_type
";
my ($default, @other) = mime_applications($mime_type);
if (defined($default)) {
print "default name ".$default->Name."
";
} else {
if (@other) {
for my $o (@other) {
print "other name ".$o->Name."
";
}
} else {
print "no default found!
";
}
}

Running that I get:
mime type = application/pdf
other name xpdf
other name ePDFViewer
other name GNU Image Manipulation Program
other name GNU Image Manipulation Program
other name Adobe Reader 9
other name TeXworks
other name PDF Mod
other name Zathura
other name xpdf
other name MuPDF
other name Document Viewer
other name gv
other name qpdfview

but no default

So *how* should I set this if it is already mentioned in
/etc/gnome/defaults.list
/usr/share/gnome/applications/defaults.list
?

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094