-   -   Recommends for metapackages (was: duplicates in the archive) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/682010-recommends-metapackages-duplicates-archive.html)

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" 07-10-2012 01:52 PM

Recommends for metapackages (was: duplicates in the archive)

[ dropping 542095@ ]

Hi,

On 2012-07-10 15:32, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 10 juillet 2012 17:38 +0900, Miles Bader a crit :
> > What's wrong with Recommends: in that case? It seems to perfectly
> > match the "makes life easier for <common but not universal use-case
> > XXX>" scenario you describe.
>
> Recommends is wrong for metapackages because it gets upgrades very
> wrong. This is why it is used very marginally.

Standards should not depend on implementation details. I see zero
reasons why metapackages are (or should be) specific here. Whatever $it
that gets upgrades wrong should be fixed instead.

C++ GNU/Linux developer, Debian Developer