-   -   How I can help? - Second attempt (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/681801-how-i-can-help-second-attempt.html)

jose antonio 07-09-2012 10:56 PM

How I can help? - Second attempt

(English)
Hello all,

I have installed Debian Wheezy on my computer and I have followed the
maint-guide (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/) using the
sources gentoo-0.19.13 I previously have downloaded.

I have practiced with devhelper and does not seem very complicated.
(Following the guide "GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" ->
http://sourceware.org/autobook/)

I have programmed in several languages throughout my working life but
I do not know to program in c++ and it's something I would like to
learn (Currently, I am developing in Java). In fact, I am following
the manual GTKmm because I want to learn to create applications for
Linux and especially for Gnome.

That said, I would like to ask if do you think I could help them to
maintain some gtk++ program by way of introduction? or should I finish
first the manual and create a small application?

On the other hand, once downloaded the sources of gentoo-0.19.13, I
installed Anjuta, Geany ... and have not convinced me too. Then, I
installed eclipse-linuxtools-indigo-SR2-linux-gtk-incubation-x86_64.tar.gz
and it seemed to be the most advanced IDE. You could see the
definitions of functions, from the files in which these functions were
called using F3 and this is useful for learn about how the program was
written. Also, I liked the ease of use of debug mode. But I am afraid
that Eclipse could leave a configuration file that
could affect the project and perhaps may fail the packaging (not tested).

What IDE do you use to modify the sources of the projects?

Finally, thank you very much for your effort and all your work!
I like debian and would like to contribute with you, and maybe become
a Debian Developer in a future! hehe

(Spanish - Native)
Hola a todos,

He instalado Debian Wheezy en mi ordenador y he seguido el maint-guide
(http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/) utilizando las
fuentes gentoo-0.19.13 que previamente ha descargado.

He practicado con devhelper () y no parece muy complicado.(Siguiendo
la guía de "GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" ->
http://sourceware.org/autobook/)

He programado en varios lenguajes lo largo de mi vida laboral, pero no
sé programar en C++ y es algo que me gustaría aprender (Actualmente
desarrollo en Java). De hecho, estoy siguiendo el manual de GTKmm,
porque quiero aprender a crear aplicaciones para Linux y en especial
para Gnome.

Dicho esto, me gustaría preguntarles si creen que podría ayudarles a
mantener algún programa C++ a modo de aprendizaje? o debo terminar
primero el manual y crear una pequeña aplicación?

Por otro lado, una vez descargados las fuentes de gentoo-0.19.13, he
instalado Anjuta, Geany ... y no me han convencido demasiado.
Entonces, he instalado
eclipse-linuxtools-indigo-SR2-linux-gtk-incubación-x86_64.tar.gz y
parecía ser el IDE más avanzado (Aunque va bien con GTK+ aún no lo he
conseguido configurar para GTKmm). Se podía ver las definiciones de
funciones, desde los archivos en los que estas funciones se llaman
usando F3 y esto es útil para aprender sobre cómo se ha escrito el
programa. Además, me gustó la facilidad de uso del modo de depuración.
Pero me temo que Eclipse pueda dejar algún archivo de configuración
que pueda afectar al proyecto y tal vez pueda fallar el empaquetado
(no comprobado).

¿Qué IDE utilizáis generalmente para modificar las fuentes de los proyectos?

Por último, muchas gracias por tu esfuerzo y tu trabajo!
Me gusta Debian y le gustaría contribuir con usted, y tal vez
convertirse en un desarrollador de Debian en un futuro! jeje

Neil Williams 07-09-2012 11:57 PM

How I can help? - Second attempt

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:56:31 +0200
jose antonio <srarcos@gmail.com> wrote:

> That said, I would like to ask if do you think I could help them to
> maintain some gtk++ program by way of introduction? or should I finish
> first the manual and create a small application?

It needs to be a package which will sustain your interest, so find a
package you already use or which sparks your interest and get the
source. Look at the existing bug reports and have a go at fixing some
of them. Send patches to the bug reports and talk to the existing
maintainer(s).

Always work on the version currently in unstable and test your changes
by building against unstable. (Keep unstable up to date as well.)

> What IDE do you use to modify the sources of the projects?

Whatever you prefer to use for a particular project. There is no
stipulation. If it helps you write/fix code, it is suitable.

> Finally, thank you very much for your effort and all your work!
> I like debian and would like to contribute with you, and maybe become
> a Debian Developer in a future! hehe

The first step along that path is to fix some bugs in the packages we
already have.

If some of those bugs are "release critical", all the better but
initially, just start with a package which is already in the archive
but which is interesting to you. There's plenty of work to do, there is
absolutely no need to wait for anyone here to tell you where to start
or what to do. Do whatever interests you and send patches. You'll find
most people will be happy to have working patches for their bugs.

Debian is currently in freeze for the Wheezy release, so it is quite
possible that bugs, even with patches, may not be uploaded but the work
is still valuable. Interim fixes can go into to experimental. If you
want to help the release, do have a look at the release critical bugs.

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/debian/main.html

--

Neil Williams
=============

jose antonio 07-11-2012 06:14 PM

How I can help? - Second attempt

Thanks, I will review the list of critical errors to look for any
package on my interest. If I can resolve any errors better.

If I cannot, maybe I could try to edit a program of another distro to
adapt it to Debian. I installed on 2 partitions of 20Gb Ubuntu and
LMDE, and there are some packages that I find interestings in debian
like Ubuntu Tweak that cleans the cache of the browser, the cache
apt-get, etc. and if I obtain its source perhaps I could change the
paths where it look for to clean on Ubuntu, to adapt it to the
filesystem of debian.

Thanks for all!