Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Adam Borowski

Default N-M: Depends->Recommends (was: duplicates in the archive)

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 07:46:52PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Adam Borowski writes ("Re: duplicates in the archive"):
> > "Breaks unrelated software" on the system is a RC severity, and there's no
> > way one can say a windowing environment is related to core networking.
> > Thus, I'd say, #542095 needs to be upgraded -- and changing Depends: to
> > Recommends: is a non-intrusive fix. It will cause n-m to be installed
> > unless explicitely refused, just like you want it to be.
>
> I tested a good part of Gnome today without n-m and it appears there
> are no regressions at all. The only differences are:
>
> * it gets rid of n-m icon in the systray (duh)

Actually, the very mail you reference, contains an continuation (with
apologies for accidentally pressing 'y' instead of 'q'):

} [was incomplete]
} * "network settings" deep in the control panel will say the networking on
} this system is not compatible

and also, as Philipp Kern noticed before, things that use N-M to distinguish
between online and offline modes will think they're offline after
uninstalling N-M until they are restarted.

Of course, none of the three are a big deal, at least comparing to not being
able to connect a phone or use complex networking.

--
Copyright and patents were never about promoting culture and innovations;
from the very start they were legalized bribes to give the king some income

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Jon Dowland

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 11:13:16PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> and also, as Philipp Kern noticed before, things that use N-M to
> distinguish between online and offline modes will think they're offline
> after uninstalling N-M until they are restarted.

You get this even with n-m installed, if n-m isn't managing your connection.
So for example I have n-m configured for wifi and 3g connections, but
ignoring my ethernet connection, so I can use a bridged setup. Various
desktop apps misbehave in minor ways: pidgin as already mentioned; chrome
reports "unable to connect to Internet" instead of more nuanced failures such
as "no such site", etc.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Abou Al Montacir

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 09:47 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 11:13:16PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> and also, as Philipp Kern noticed before, things that use N-M to
> distinguish between online and offline modes will think they're offline
> after uninstalling N-M until they are restarted.

You get this even with n-m installed, if n-m isn't managing your connection.
So for example I have n-m configured for wifi and 3g connections, but
ignoring my ethernet connection, so I can use a bridged setup. Various
desktop apps misbehave in minor ways: pidgin as already mentioned; chrome
reports "unable to connect to Internet" instead of more nuanced failures such
as "no such site", etc.

I was using gnome with n-m installed but deactivated (just remove /etc/rc*/netwrok-manager) without any issue. The reason for removing the rc*/n-m is that when starting n-m, evolution will refuse to connect to the "unmanaged" eth0 (static iface managed with ifup/ifdown). When n-m is stopped, evolution just will detect this and fallback to classical interface.

I did not notice any other gnome application that depends on n-m on its apparent behavior. So I can certify this Depends is not required.

Cheers,