Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Touko Korpela

Default Sysklogd vs. rsyslog

(please cc me)

Rsyslog is now the default syslog daemon on Debian (at least on wheezy,
maybe earlier also).
It has more features than sysklogd. Maybe package description of sysklogd
should tell that better logging daemons are available and it's no
longer the default?
Some upgraders from previous releases may miss that change
and stay at sysklogd if they don't install new alternative themself.

Recent issue is that new kernels (3.5-rc?) have a problem with sysklogd.
Maybe someone can reply there if having knowledge.
In same thread Linus made another harsh reply that I don't quote here:

Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 07 iul 12, 19:40:25, Touko Korpela wrote:
> (please cc me)

Done.

> Some upgraders from previous releases may miss that change
> and stay at sysklogd if they don't install new alternative themself.

Upgraders should also read the Release Notes
http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#system-changes

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Guillem Jover

On Sat, 2012-07-07 at 19:40:25 +0300, Touko Korpela wrote:
> Recent issue is that new kernels (3.5-rc?) have a problem with sysklogd.
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=134161256014626&w=2
> Maybe someone can reply there if having knowledge.
> In same thread Linus made another harsh reply that I don't quote here:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=134160685712793&w=2

This would be due to:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2011/04/msg00037.html>

for which I did a review that got ignored:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2011/05/msg00003.html>

regards,
guillem

Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Michael Biebl

On 07.07.2012 19:07, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-07-07 at 19:40:25 +0300, Touko Korpela wrote:
>> Recent issue is that new kernels (3.5-rc?) have a problem with sysklogd.
>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=134161256014626&w=2
>> Maybe someone can reply there if having knowledge.
>> In same thread Linus made another harsh reply that I don't quote here:
>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=134160685712793&w=2
>
> This would be due to:
>
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2011/04/msg00037.html>
>
> for which I did a review that got ignored:
>
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2011/05/msg00003.html>

Is sysklogd still actively maintained upstream/in Debian?
Doesn't look like it from a cursory glance.

Maybe the package should be O/RFAed or completely retired if no one is
found to take care of it.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?