Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Jakub Wilk

Default bits from the DPL: June 2012

* Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org>, 2012-07-03, 21:24:
Since [OIN][19] was seeking comments on their [Linux System
definition][12] (not really openly though: I learned about it last
minute from people directly in touch with OIN representatives), I've
contacted them proposing to include all "Debian main" packages in their
definition. I haven't yet hear back from them, but I doubt they'll
accept the idea. It'd be nice to have an official answer about why,
though.

Why do we care? What's the point of such definition?

I'm honestly curious.

--
Jakub Wilk

Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Simon McVittie

On 04/07/12 16:17, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org>, 2012-07-03, 21:24:
>> Since [OIN][19] was seeking comments on their [Linux System
>> definition][12]
[...]
> Why do we care? What's the point of such definition?

"Patents owned by Open Invention Network® are available royalty-free to
any company, institution or individual that agrees not to assert its
patents against the Linux System."

The broader their definition of "the Linux System" is, the broader that
agreement becomes: if it covered all of Debian main, then nobody relying
on an OIN patent license could assert their patents against anything in
Debian main, which would be nice.