Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Mikhail Gusarov

Default python-sphinx or sphinx?

Gentlemen,

I'm going to package tool called Sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) -
documentation generator for Python projects.

In ITP (#474782) I chose package name to be 'python-sphinx', however
then the package will be thought as containing just python modules.

Is it ok to go ahead and use such generic package name as 'sphinx',
given the recentness of the package and it's (still) small userbase?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Roberto C. Sánchez

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:25:54AM +0700, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I'm going to package tool called Sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) -
> documentation generator for Python projects.
>
> In ITP (#474782) I chose package name to be 'python-sphinx', however
> then the package will be thought as containing just python modules.
>
> Is it ok to go ahead and use such generic package name as 'sphinx',
> given the recentness of the package and it's (still) small userbase?

The python-wxglade package is an application and not just modules. That
is just one example. Personally, I am ambivalent on the matter.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto

Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Hi,

Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I'm going to package tool called Sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) -
> documentation generator for Python projects.
>
> In ITP (#474782) I chose package name to be 'python-sphinx', however
> then the package will be thought as containing just python modules.
>
> Is it ok to go ahead and use such generic package name as 'sphinx',
> given the recentness of the package and it's (still) small userbase?

If it's just a tool, that name is fine. But if it also contains modules, then I
think you should go for python-*. Perhaps you could make two binary packages,
one for the module(s) and one for the tool, although that could be overkilling...

I'm CCing debian-python@ so you can get better answers.

Emilio

Old 04-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

Hi,

> If it's just a tool, that name is fine. But if it also contains modules, then I
> think you should go for python-*. Perhaps you could make two binary packages,
> one for the module(s) and one for the tool, although that could be overkilling...

looks more like a module in my eyes, so python-sphinx

Cheers,

Bernd

--
Bernd Zeimetz