Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Filipus Klutiero

Default Apper instead of Synaptic for KDE (was Mostly solved (was Filed ( Preinstalled package manager(s) for PCs (wheezy))))

Hi Matthias,

On 2012-06-27 14:54, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

Hi!
How odd that I didn't notice that bug... (I'm the GPK/PK maintainer)
Well, I think pulling in Synaptic on KDE might be a bad idea, probably
KDE desktop packages should pull in Apper instead, a KDE package
manager based on PackageKit and fully integrated into the KDE desktop.
It does not provide all functions of Synaptic, but for most users it
will be good enough and KDE can avoid pulling in many GNOME packages.

Synaptic is at best just a little GNOME-ish, beyond its GTK-ness. In
reality, installing Synaptic would install just a little more than Apper
- perhaps. Apper probably does integrate with KDE, but this is a small
advantage compared to the difference in maturity. I wouldn't be strongly
against installing Apper by default, but replacing Synaptic is a bigger
challenge.

[...]