-   -   Mostly solved (was Filed ( Preinstalled package manager(s) for PCs (wheezy))) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/677880-mostly-solved-filed-preinstalled-package-manager-s-pcs-wheezy.html)

Matthias Klumpp 06-27-2012 06:54 PM

Mostly solved (was Filed ( Preinstalled package manager(s) for PCs (wheezy)))

Hi!
How odd that I didn't notice that bug... (I'm the GPK/PK maintainer)
Well, I think pulling in Synaptic on KDE might be a bad idea, probably
KDE desktop packages should pull in Apper instead, a KDE package
manager based on PackageKit and fully integrated into the KDE desktop.
It does not provide all functions of Synaptic, but for most users it
will be good enough and KDE can avoid pulling in many GNOME packages.
About the GNOME side: I already splitted up the GNOME-PackageKit
package, but I didn't upload the changes to unstable. Splitting the
package means that you will be able to install some components of GPK
(the update manager, software manager and helper tools) independently
from each other. This might be useful in the current situation. (so
only the parts of GPK which are needed are present and people can use
Synaptic for other things. E.g. the update-manager can bes used with
Synaptic, and people don't have two package managers installed)
Don't think uploading the splitted version at time would be a good
idea, so I think the current solution is okay, if the GNOME team wants
it. (which seems to be the case)
Thanks for the attention :-)
Cheers,
Matthias

Filipus Klutiero 07-20-2012 12:22 AM

Mostly solved (was Filed ( Preinstalled package manager(s) for PCs (wheezy)))

This didn't generate as much feedback as I hoped, but I filed a
ticket asking task-desktop to install synaptic:

Joey Hess changed tasks to bring Synaptic in KDE, LXDE and Xfce. Only
the GNOME situation is unchanged (Josselin Mouette alleged that gnome
already pulls in Synaptic).

I tested d-i last week and accidentally installled GNOME. This allowed
me to confirm that GNOME does not pull Synaptic in testing.

tasksel 3.10 should migrate to testing shortly.

tasksel 3.11 has now migrated to testing.