-   -   yum 3.4.x failing: I need some help (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/677820-yum-3-4-x-failing-i-need-some-help.html)

Thomas Goirand 06-27-2012 03:53 PM

yum 3.4.x failing: I need some help

Hi,

Since March the 1st, I had Yum 3.4.3-1 ready in my Git repository. But I
didn't upload the new version of yum because of an issue with the new
version.

It seemed to be working, eg, I could bootstrap a CentOS 6 distro in a
chroot, just like you would with yum 3.2.x. And the resulting CentOS
distro seem to work. But at the end of the bootstraping process, yum
does a python stack dump:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>
yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 288, in user_main
errcode = main(args)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 140, in main
result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 440, in doCommands
return self.yum_cli_commands[self.basecmd].doCommand(self,
self.basecmd, self.extcmds)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yumcommands.py", line 214, in doCommand
return base.installPkgs(extcmds)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 717, in installPkgs
self.install(pattern=arg)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 3580, in
install
if (self.rpmdb.searchNames([po.name]) and
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yum/rpmsack.py", line 1180, in
searchNames
returnList.extend(self._search(name=name))
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yum/rpmsack.py", line 1246, in
_search
po = self._makePackageObject(hdr, idx)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yum/rpmsack.py", line 1272, in
_makePackageObject
self._cached_rpmdb_mtime = os.path.getmtime(rpmdbfname)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/genericpath.py", line 54, in getmtime
return os.stat(filename).st_mtime
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/tmp/centos6/var/lib/rpm/Packages'

FYI, what I'm doing is using this script (also available in dtc-xen in
Debian):
http://git.gplhost.com/gitweb/?p=dtc-xen.git;a=blob;f=src/dtc_install_centos;h=f06a05c89fb61c10cc883031afa51 5812db92c6c;hb=4a0a7801aa6dfa155e735dcb1045e282806 6d8c9

I use the script like this:
mkdir /tmp/centos6
./dtc_install_centos /tmp/yumtemp /tmp/centos6

then the error above appears.

I asked upstream author, and they couldn't reply to me strait away with
a way to fix:
http://old.nabble.com/Error-bootstraping-CentOS-with-Yum-from-Debian-SID-td33421825.html

If anyone has time to look into the issue and help me, that'd be really
great: I would then upload version 3.4.x in experimental (since I don't
want to introduce too much change just few days before the freeze, and
that v3.2 does the job too ...). The Git with v 3.4 is here:
Vcs-Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=users/zigo/yum.git
Vcs-Git: http://git.debian.org/git/users/zigo/yum.git

the branch to use is "debian-sid" even though I plan to upload that to
experimental.

Last, I wouldn't be against having a co-maintainer. I'm not at all a
heavy yum user myself, I just use it for bootstrapping CentOS 6 in Xen
VMs when it's a customer's requirement. I took over maintainership only
because the package was left unmaintained and broken.

Cheers,

Thomas

Bernd Zeimetz 06-27-2012 06:38 PM

yum 3.4.x failing: I need some help

hi,

> Since March the 1st, I had Yum 3.4.3-1 ready in my Git repository. But I
> didn't upload the new version of yum because of an issue with the new
> version.
>
> It seemed to be working, eg, I could bootstrap a CentOS 6 distro in a
> chroot, just like you would with yum 3.2.x. And the resulting CentOS
> distro seem to work. But at the end of the bootstraping process, yum
> does a python stack dump:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/tmp/centos6/var/lib/rpm/Packages'

that shows your issue in two lines - did you look if that file actually exists
or resides somewhere else?

Cheers,

Bernd

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprint: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Mike Miller 06-28-2012 01:04 AM

yum 3.4.x failing: I need some help

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since March the 1st, I had Yum 3.4.3-1 ready in my Git repository. But I
> didn't upload the new version of yum because of an issue with the new
> version.
>
> It seemed to be working, eg, I could bootstrap a CentOS 6 distro in a
> chroot, just like you would with yum 3.2.x. And the resulting CentOS
> distro seem to work. But at the end of the bootstraping process, yum
> does a python stack dump:
>
> [...]
>
> FYI, what I'm doing is using this script (also available in dtc-xen in
> Debian):
> http://git.gplhost.com/gitweb/?p=dtc-xen.git;a=blob;f=src/dtc_install_centos;h=f06a05c89fb61c10cc883031afa51 5812db92c6c;hb=4a0a7801aa6dfa155e735dcb1045e282806 6d8c9
>
> I use the script like this:
> mkdir /tmp/centos6
> ./dtc_install_centos /tmp/yumtemp /tmp/centos6

I ran this script and got back the same results. The difference seems
to be that rpm has one definition of the path to the rpm database,
this is defined by the %_dbpath configuration variable, and yum 3.4
hardcodes the path to be "/var/lib/rpm" in a few places (git grep
rpmdbfname).

On Debian the default value of %_dbpath is $HOME/.rpmdb, see #551669.
However, for building a chrooted system in this manner you really *do*
want %_dbpath to be /var/lib/rpm, because that's what the
configuration will be when you chroot in.

I don't know if there is a way to pass this variable into rpm via the
yum command-line, but I was able to get this script working by
temporarily creating /root/.rpmmacros with the line:

%_dbpath /var/lib/rpm

> If anyone has time to look into the issue and help me, that'd be really
> great: I would then upload version 3.4.x in experimental (since I don't
> want to introduce too much change just few days before the freeze, and
> that v3.2 does the job too ...). The Git with v 3.4 is here:
> Vcs-Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=users/zigo/yum.git
> Vcs-Git: http://git.debian.org/git/users/zigo/yum.git
>
> the branch to use is "debian-sid" even though I plan to upload that to
> experimental.
>
> Last, I wouldn't be against having a co-maintainer. I'm not at all a
> heavy yum user myself, I just use it for bootstrapping CentOS 6 in Xen
> VMs when it's a customer's requirement. I took over maintainership only
> because the package was left unmaintained and broken.

I'd be interested in working with you, I've recently been doing a bit
with rpm and yum on Debian. You can get back to me off-list if you
want to talk about it.

--
mike