-   -   apt-get source gets a more recent version of linux than I can install (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/677450-apt-get-source-gets-more-recent-version-linux-than-i-can-install.html)

Philip Ashmore 06-26-2012 07:02 PM

apt-get source gets a more recent version of linux than I can install

Hi there.

I noticed a few hours ago that apt-get source linux gets me 3.2.21-1,
but the I have the "latest" kernel installed which is 3.2.20-1. What gives?

Philip

Vincent Bernat 06-26-2012 07:11 PM

apt-get source gets a more recent version of linux than I can install

❦ 26 juin 2012 21:02 CEST, Philip Ashmore <contact@philipashmore.com>*:

> I noticed a few hours ago that apt-get source linux gets me 3.2.21-1,
> but the I have the "latest" kernel installed which is 3.2.20-1. What
> gives?

The latest one may not be available for your architecture on your
current mirror yet.
--
die_if_kernel("Whee... Hello Mr. Penguin", current->tss.kregs);
2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/kernel/traps.c

Andrei POPESCU 06-26-2012 07:14 PM

On Ma, 26 iun 12, 20:02:05, Philip Ashmore wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I noticed a few hours ago that apt-get source linux gets me
> 3.2.21-1, but the I have the "latest" kernel installed which is
> 3.2.20-1. What gives?

apt-get source will get the most recent available source for the
package, regardless of what version you have installed. If you feel the
explanation in apt-get(8) is unclear you might want to propose a patch.

Kindly address such questions to debian-user in the future ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei

Ben Hutchings 06-26-2012 08:13 PM

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:11:03PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> ❦ 26 juin 2012 21:02 CEST, Philip Ashmore <contact@philipashmore.com>*:
>
> > I noticed a few hours ago that apt-get source linux gets me 3.2.21-1,
> > but the I have the "latest" kernel installed which is 3.2.20-1. What
> > gives?
>
> The latest one may not be available for your architecture on your
> current mirror yet.

And FTBFS on i386. Fixed in today's 3.2.21-2.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus