Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
David Marlin

Default problem with PXE-boot kickstart install - network

I am attempting to start a kickstart install via PXE-boot and have
encountered a problem. The system boots to the PXE menu, and I select
the install option which has the following:

append: console=ttyS0,115200n8 ip=eth0:dhcp
ks=http://intranet.farm.hsv.redhat.com/es/tftpboot/f17-mvebu/mvebu.ks
rd.debug rd.shell cmdline

The kickstart file is almost identical to one I've successfully used on
another host (only the host specific bits are different). It includes
the following line:

network --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0 --onboot=on --activate
--hostname=yosemite-f17

The system boots, loads the kickstart config file, mounts the squashfs
rootfs, and begins the installation process. I see:

:
Creating swap on /dev/sda2
In progress

Creating ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda1
In progress

(enableNetwork)
Can't have a question in command line mode!

and everything stops there.

What additional debugging options should I enable to determine what I'm
missing when trying to enable the network?

Note: I am using the following anaconda and lorax versions for creating
the install tree and perform the installation:

anaconda-17.29-1.fc17
lorax-17.26-1.fc17

Thank you,

d.marlin

Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Will Woods

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 10:55 -0500, David Marlin wrote:
> The system boots, loads the kickstart config file, mounts the squashfs
> rootfs, and begins the installation process. I see:

> :
> Creating swap on /dev/sda2
> In progress
>
> Creating ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda1
> In progress
>
> (enableNetwork)
> Can't have a question in command line mode!
>
> and everything stops there.
>
> What additional debugging options should I enable to determine what I'm
> missing when trying to enable the network?

It'd help if we saw the kickstart file itself, but mostly you'd want to
examine the various logs in /tmp. Probably you could boot with 'sshd'
and just scp them off the system.

-w

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 AM
"David A. Marlin"

Will Woods wrote:

The system boots, loads the kickstart config file, mounts the squashfs
rootfs, and begins the installation process. I see:

:
Creating swap on /dev/sda2
In progress

Creating ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda1
In progress

(enableNetwork)
Can't have a question in command line mode!

and everything stops there.

What additional debugging options should I enable to determine what I'm
missing when trying to enable the network?

It'd help if we saw the kickstart file itself, ...

The link to the kickstart file is:

http://intranet.farm.hsv.redhat.com/es/tftpboot/f17-mvebu/mvebu.ks

but I can attach it to an email if you have trouble accessing that file.

... but mostly you'd want to
examine the various logs in /tmp. Probably you could boot with 'sshd'
and just scp them off the system.

Please see attached.

Note: Before looking too far into the logs, we have been having trouble
starting the network using NetworkManager on this system even when
booting normally. We have been working around the issue by starting the
network using 'dhclient'. Since it appears that the installer is also
using NetworkManager, perhaps we are encountering the same problem and
it is simply being reported as a kickstart issue:

Can't have a question in command line mode!

So while we find a solution to the underlying issue, is it possible to
force the installer to use dhclient, or some other non-NetworkManager
method to start networking? Since I was able to ssh in to the system, I
have to assume 'something' other than NetworkManager is starting networking.

Thank you,

d.marlin

-w

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 AM
"Brian C. Lane"

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 09:42:48PM -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:
> So while we find a solution to the underlying issue, is it possible
> to force the installer to use dhclient, or some other
> non-NetworkManager method to start networking? Since I was able to
> ssh in to the system, I have to assume 'something' other than
> NetworkManager is starting networking.

No, NetworkManager is the only option. Have you tried removing cmdline
from the ks to see what it does?

Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 AM
"David A. Marlin"

Brian C. Lane wrote:

So while we find a solution to the underlying issue, is it possible
to force the installer to use dhclient, or some other
non-NetworkManager method to start networking? Since I was able to
ssh in to the system, I have to assume 'something' other than
NetworkManager is starting networking.

No, NetworkManager is the only option.

Then I fear we may be stuck until we find a solution to the issue
preventing NetworkManager from starting. We are currently working on
this issue.

Have you tried removing cmdline
from the ks to see what it does?

I have now.

No Network Available

Some of your software repositories require networking, but
there was an error enabling the network on your system.

Exit installer

I think this just confirms that we are not missing network options in
the kickstart, but hitting a known issue on this system (kernel).

On a positive note, the text dialogs all seemed to work well over the
serial console up to this point.

Thank you for your help,

d.marlin
=========

Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Will Woods

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 23:03 -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:
> Brian C. Lane wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 09:42:48PM -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:
> >
> >> So while we find a solution to the underlying issue, is it possible
> >> to force the installer to use dhclient, or some other
> >> non-NetworkManager method to start networking? Since I was able to
> >> ssh in to the system, I have to assume 'something' other than
> >> NetworkManager is starting networking.

Both initramfs and NetworkManager use dhclient behind the scenes. If you
pass an 'ip=XXX' arg or a kickstart with a 'network' line, dracut
configures the interface (e.g. by starting dhclient) and then hands the
interface over to NM[1] when the system starts for real.

If NM really isn't running, the interface is probably still up because
dhclient brought it up previously. That might be enough to let you keep
testing, but really.. you gotta fix that first, or do non-network
installs.

-w

Old 06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Will Woods

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 21:42 -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:
> Will Woods wrote:
> > ... but mostly you'd want to
> > examine the various logs in /tmp. Probably you could boot with 'sshd'
> > and just scp them off the system.
> >
> Please see attached.

So:

[wwoods@samus ks-install-logs]$ grep 'to step' anaconda.log
05:10:39,705 INFO anaconda: dispatch: moving (1) to step sshd
05:10:39,745 INFO anaconda: dispatch: moving (1) to step kickstart
05:10:57,565 INFO anaconda: dispatch: moving (1) to step setuptime
01:10:58,005 INFO anaconda: dispatch: moving (1) to step
autopartitionexecute
01:10:58,482 INFO anaconda: dispatch: moving (1) to step storagedone
01:10:58,485 INFO anaconda: dispatch: moving (1) to step
enablefilesystems
01:11:20,176 INFO anaconda: dispatch: moving (1) to step reposetup

The last step it hit was 'reposetup' - my guess would be that anaconda
can't reach the repo (or thinks it's offline because of the NM problems
you mentioned).

You could try a VNC install to confirm?

-w

Old 06-27-2012, 02:03 AM
"David A. Marlin"

Will Woods wrote:

So while we find a solution to the underlying issue, is it possible
to force the installer to use dhclient, or some other
non-NetworkManager method to start networking? Since I was able to
ssh in to the system, I have to assume 'something' other than
NetworkManager is starting networking.

Both initramfs and NetworkManager use dhclient behind the scenes. If you
pass an 'ip=XXX' arg or a kickstart with a 'network' line, dracut
configures the interface (e.g. by starting dhclient) and then hands the
interface over to NM[1] when the system starts for real.

I am passing ip=eth0:dhcp on the kernel command line, and since it
downloads the kickstart config and I am able to ssh in to the system, it
seems to be working. I think when things go awry is when the system
starts for real and NM takes over. Due to issues with the driver, NM
reports that it cannot start networking.

If NM really isn't running, the interface is probably still up because
dhclient brought it up previously.

NM is actually running, but it reports that networking was not started.

That might be enough to let you keep
testing, but really.. you gotta fix that first, or do non-network
installs.

Right, I have reported the problem to the driver author, and they are
working on a solution. I was just anxious to further test the kickstart
installation on this system in the mean time, and identify any other
issues as early as possible. If there were some way to tell Anaconda to
ignore NM altogether and just use the existing interface, I think we
could proceed with the install. Since it appears there is not, we'll
just have to wait for a kernel driver fix.

Thank you for your help,

d.marlin
========

-w

Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 AM
"David A. Marlin"

Will Woods wrote:

[...]

I think you have it exactly right. It thinks it's offline because of
the NM problems, caused by the network driver.

You could try a VNC install to confirm?

I have manually booted the system to an F17 rootfs with the same kernel
and see the same issue with NetworkManager. The message in the kernel
log is:

<warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/eth0: couldn't determine device
driver; ignoring...

which I believe is caused by the driver not providing a 'device' link in
/sys/devices/virtual/net/eth0.

Thanks again for your help,

d.marlin
========