Old 06-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Charles Plessy

Default Is it possible to run autopkgtest without a virtual machine ?

Dear all,

I think that the idea behind autopkgtest (DEP 8) is very interesting, and could
eventually replace build-time regression tests. To train myself, I tried to
implement simple tests for the tabix package.

However, adt-run needs a virtual machine. I know that some developers have
some workarounds, but couldn't autopkgtest also support running tests on the local
system ? This would be tremendously useful when the tests can be contained in
the binary packages, as it would make it very easy for our users and ourselves
to test the packages.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,

Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 01:24:43PM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :

> adt-run needs a virtual machine. I know that some developers have
> some workarounds, but couldn't autopkgtest also support running tests on the local
> system ? This would be tremendously useful when the tests can be contained in
> the binary packages, as it would make it very easy for our users and ourselves
> to test the packages.

Thanks to Michael's hint, I found that the following command will work locally.

sudo adt-run --no-built-binaries foo.dsc --- adt-virt-null

(See https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00501.html )

I guess that the next step is to let autopkgtest run as a user
(http://bugs.debian.org/648148), make it easier to invoke (adt-virt-null is not
mentionned in the manual page, and even with --no-built-binaries it still tries
to download some stuff or create a GPG key), and give it a more user-friendly
output.

For people with free time, that would probably be high-impact contribution. I
will add more autopkgtest to my packages, and would love to be able to tell to
our users a simple command to test if the package is working on their system.

Have a nice week-end,

Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Goswin von Brederlow

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I think that the idea behind autopkgtest (DEP 8) is very interesting, and could
> eventually replace build-time regression tests. To train myself, I tried to
> implement simple tests for the tabix package.
>
> However, adt-run needs a virtual machine. I know that some developers have
> some workarounds, but couldn't autopkgtest also support running tests on the local
> system ? This would be tremendously useful when the tests can be contained in
> the binary packages, as it would make it very easy for our users and ourselves
> to test the packages.
>
> Have a nice day,

I think test should be run in a container (or VM) but never the local
system itself. The absolute minimum would be a chroot but a container
would give better control over things like networking.

MfG
Goswin

Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Ian Jackson

Charles Plessy writes ("Re: Is it possible to run autopkgtest without a virtual machine ?"):
> I guess that the next step is to let autopkgtest run as a user
> (http://bugs.debian.org/648148), make it easier to invoke
> (adt-virt-null is not mentionned in the manual page, and even with
> --no-built-binaries it still tries to download some stuff or create
> a GPG key), and give it a more user-friendly output.

Right. (Sorry that that bug has become entangled with TMPDIR stuff.)

> For people with free time, that would probably be high-impact
> contribution. I will add more autopkgtest to my packages, and would
> love to be able to tell to our users a simple command to test if the
> package is working on their system.

Great.

Ian.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>, 2012-06-22, 17:46:
adt-run needs a virtual machine. I know that some developers have
some workarounds, but couldn't autopkgtest also support running tests
on the local system? This would be tremendously useful when the tests
can be contained in the binary packages, as it would make it very easy
for our users and ourselves to test the packages.

Thanks to Michael's hint, I found that the following command will work
locally.

sudo adt-run --no-built-binaries foo.dsc --- adt-virt-null

(See https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00501.html )

I guess that the next step is to let autopkgtest run as a user
(http://bugs.debian.org/648148), make it easier to invoke
(adt-virt-null is not mentionned in the manual page, and even with
--no-built-binaries it still tries to download some stuff or create a
GPG key), and give it a more user-friendly output.

You might be interested in my own minimalistic DEP-8 test runner:
https://bitbucket.org/jwilk/debian-misc/src/tip/sadt

--
Jakub Wilk

Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Ian Jackson

Jakub Wilk writes ("Re: Is it possible to run autopkgtest without a virtual machine ?"):
> You might be interested in my own minimalistic DEP-8 test runner:
> https://bitbucket.org/jwilk/debian-misc/src/tip/sadt

Oooh, how exciting, another implementation :-).

Thanks,
Ian.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Ian Jackson

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: Is it possible to run autopkgtest without a virtual machine ?"):
> Jakub Wilk writes ("Re: Is it possible to run autopkgtest without a virtual machine ?"):
> > You might be interested in my own minimalistic DEP-8 test runner:
> > https://bitbucket.org/jwilk/debian-misc/src/tip/sadt
>
> Oooh, how exciting, another implementation :-).

On this subject, I ought to point out that (thinking I had the only
implementation) I fixed a spec bug relating to the use of TMPDIR.

The spec now tells test scripts to use ADTTMP so perhaps you would
like to update your test runner to provide that too ?

Thanks,
Ian.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>, 2012-06-25, 13:44:

You might be interested in my own minimalistic DEP-8 test runner:
https://bitbucket.org/jwilk/debian-misc/src/tip/sadt

Oooh, how exciting, another implementation :-).

On this subject, I ought to point out that (thinking I had the only
implementation) I fixed a spec bug relating to the use of TMPDIR.

The spec now tells test scripts to use ADTTMP so perhaps you would like
to update your test runner to provide that too ?

Done, thanks for reminder.

--
Jakub Wilk