Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 AM
shirish शिरीष

Default Introducing http.debian.net, Debian's mirrors redirector

in-line :-

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,

Dear Raphael,

> After several iterations to solve problems related to Debian's mirrors
> network, I am happy to announce a fully-functional solution that solves many
> of the shortcomings of previous iterations: http://http.debian.net
>
> http.debian.net works as the key component of a content distribution
> network. For a given requested file, it uses several factors to choose one or
> multiple mirrors that can serve the request. Those factors include the
> freshness of the mirror, the network and geographic location, etc.

nice.

> How can you use it?
> An entry in /etc/apt/sources.list for stable would look like:
>
> deb http://http.debian.net/debian stable main
>
> It supports backports mirrors and others. Except CD image mirrors, they are
> *not* supported.
>
> More details, comparison to other approaches, and more information can be
> found at:
> http://http.debian.net/

I *think* it should be also beneficial for jigdo stuff as well.

> Oh, and, please help package and maintain mirrorbrain, which would allow a
> similar service to be provided for CD images.
>
> Thanks for reading.
>

> P.S. contrary to wheezy, http.debian.net's development will not freeze. It
> is under continuous development, and more users and developers are welcome!

umm.... I know it's early days and it's really cool to have a service
like it. There have been times where either the main server has had
congestion or the mirror I was using is switched or isn't working
properly for one thing or the other.

There is one thing though, for some reason it takes much more
bandwidth when updating the index then my previous way.

This is my /etc/apt/sources.list :-

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

# Debian Unstable (SID) using now
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

# Debian experimental repository - needs to be careful here
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ experimental main

# Debian Testing (Wheezy)
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

# Debian Stable
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

# Debian-Multimedia.org Repository
#deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org sid main non-free
#deb-src http://www.deb-multimedia.org sid main non-free

# Debian-Multimedia.org Experimental Repository -need to be careful here
#deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org experimental main non-free

Note :- I am on Debian sid.

Previously I was using ftp.debian.org in my /etc/apt/sources.list

This is the first run with the new mirror re-director :-

$ sudo aptitude update
Get: 1 http://http.debian.net unstable InRelease [234 kB]
Get: 2 http://http.debian.net experimental InRelease [162 kB]
Get: 3 http://http.debian.net unstable/main amd64 Packages [6,081 kB]
Get: 4 http://http.debian.net unstable/non-free amd64 Packages [82.5
kB]
Get: 5 http://http.debian.net testing InRelease [190 kB]
Get: 6 http://http.debian.net experimental/main Translation-en [146
kB]
Ign http://http.debian.net stable InRelease
Get: 7 http://http.debian.net unstable/main Sources [6,331 kB]
Get: 8 http://http.debian.net testing/main Sources [6,003 kB]
Get: 9 http://http.debian.net unstable/contrib Sources [54.9 kB]
Get: 10 http://http.debian.net unstable/non-free Sources [97.6 kB]
Get: 11 http://http.debian.net unstable/contrib amd64 Packages [46.7
kB]
Get: 12 http://http.debian.net unstable/non-free Translation-en [69.0
kB]
Get: 13 http://http.debian.net experimental/main amd64 Packages [264
kB]
Get: 14 http://http.debian.net unstable/contrib Translation-en [38.2
kB]
Get: 15 http://http.debian.net unstable/main Translation-en [4,007 kB]
Get: 16 http://http.debian.net testing/non-free Sources [93.5 kB]
Get: 17 http://http.debian.net testing/contrib Translation-en [35.1
kB]
Get: 18 http://http.debian.net testing/main Translation-en [3,886 kB]
Get: 19 http://http.debian.net testing/contrib Sources [51.1 kB]
Get: 20 http://http.debian.net testing/main amd64 Packages [5,828 kB]
Get: 21 http://http.debian.net stable Release.gpg [1,672 B]
Get: 22 http://http.debian.net stable Release [111 kB]
Get: 23 http://http.debian.net stable/main Sources [4,541 kB]
Get: 24 http://http.debian.net testing/contrib amd64 Packages [43.3
kB]
Get: 25 http://http.debian.net testing/non-free amd64 Packages [74.4
kB]
Get: 26 http://http.debian.net testing/non-free Translation-en [63.2
kB]
Get: 27 http://http.debian.net stable/contrib Sources [40.9 kB]
Get: 28 http://http.debian.net stable/non-free Sources [73.4 kB]
Get: 29 http://http.debian.net stable/contrib amd64 Packages [53.0 kB]
89% [20 Packages 3,213 kB/5,828 kB 55%] [23 Sources 3,021 kB/4,541 kB
67%] 13.2 kB/s 5min 1
Get:
30 http://http.debian.net stable/main amd64 Packages [6,542 kB]
Get: 31 http://http.debian.net stable/non-free amd64 Packages [102 kB]
Fetched 45.3 MB in 50min 20s (15.0 kB/s)

This is understandable as the sources is changed.

Now this is another run few hours later :-

$ sudo aptitude update
[sudo] password for shirish:
Get: 1 http://http.debian.net unstable InRelease [234 kB]
Get: 2 http://http.debian.net experimental InRelease [162 kB]
Get: 3 http://http.debian.net testing InRelease [190 kB]
Ign http://http.debian.net stable InRelease
Get: 4 http://http.debian.net unstable/main Sources/DiffIndex [7,876
B]
Get: 5 http://http.debian.net unstable/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
[7,819 B]
Get: 6 http://http.debian.net unstable/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
[7,819 B]
Get: 7 http://http.debian.net unstable/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
[7,876 B]
Get: 8 http://http.debian.net unstable/contrib amd64
Packages/DiffIndex [7,819 B]
Get: 9 http://http.debian.net unstable/non-free amd64
Packages/DiffIndex [7,819 B]
Get: 10 http://http.debian.net unstable/contrib
Translation-en/DiffIndex [4,507 B]
Get: 11 http://http.debian.net unstable/main Translation-en/DiffIndex
[7,876 B]
Get: 12 http://http.debian.net unstable/non-free
Translation-en/DiffIndex [6,301 B]
Get: 13 http://http.debian.net experimental/main amd64
Packages/DiffIndex [7,819 B]
Get: 14 http://http.debian.net experimental/main
Translation-en/DiffIndex [7,819 B]
Get: 15 http://http.debian.net testing/main Sources/DiffIndex [7,876
B]
Get: 16 http://http.debian.net testing/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
[7,819 B]
Get: 17 http://http.debian.net testing/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
[7,819 B]
Get: 18 http://http.debian.net testing/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
[7,876 B]
Get: 19 http://http.debian.net testing/contrib amd64
Packages/DiffIndex [7,819 B]
Get: 20 http://http.debian.net testing/non-free amd64
Packages/DiffIndex [7,819 B]
Get: 21 http://http.debian.net testing/contrib
Translation-en/DiffIndex [3,679 B]
Get: 22 http://http.debian.net testing/main Translation-en/DiffIndex
[7,876 B]
Get: 23 http://http.debian.net testing/non-free
Translation-en/DiffIndex [4,507 B]
Get: 24 http://http.debian.net stable Release.gpg [1,672 B]
Get: 25 http://http.debian.net stable Release [111 kB]
Get: 26 http://http.debian.net stable/main Sources [4,541 kB]
Get: 27 http://http.debian.net stable/contrib Sources [40.9 kB]
Get: 28 http://http.debian.net stable/non-free Sources [73.4 kB]
Get: 29 http://http.debian.net stable/main amd64 Packages [6,542 kB]
Get: 30 http://http.debian.net stable/non-free amd64 Packages [102 kB]
Get: 31 http://http.debian.net stable/contrib amd64 Packages [53.0 kB]
Fetched 12.2 MB in 21min 10s (9,599 B/s)

As can be seen while there is a saving, still a substantial amount of
bandwidth is used for an update.

Previously when I was using a single mirror, most of the time the diff
between two runs was at the most 750 kB in the index update run. I can
recall there is something call .pdiff which made it easier and smaller
to have the index updated.

Another thing which is puzzling is that stable inRelease is ignored. I
dunno if this was before and I'm realizing it now or it's due to the
use of mirror redirector or something else. I do recall stable
inRelease doing well. Anyways, this is what I'm a bit concerned about
as well.

Get: 3 http://http.debian.net testing InRelease [190 kB]
Ign http://http.debian.net stable InRelease
Get: 4 http://http.debian.net unstable/main Sources/DiffIndex [7,876 B]

Thank you again for never trying to hunt around for having to check
mirrors every now and then. Looking forward to response.

--
* * * * * Regards,
* * * * * Shirish Agarwal* शिरीष अग्रवाल

Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Philipp Kern

shirish,

am Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 09:33:34AM +0530 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> Another thing which is puzzling is that stable inRelease is ignored. I
> dunno if this was before and I'm realizing it now or it's due to the
> use of mirror redirector or something else. I do recall stable
> inRelease doing well. Anyways, this is what I'm a bit concerned about
> as well.

there should be no InRelease for stable. It's not needed given that stable
basically doesn't change and didn't support two signatures at some point.

So that's ok and fine.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Darren Baginski

On 21 Jun 2012 Raphael Geissert wrote:

> After several iterations to solve problems related to Debian's mirrors
> network, I am happy to announce a fully-functional solution that
> solves many
> of the shortcomings of previous iterations:
> http://http.debian.net

Is there other developer involved in development?
Mind to share data how many 'redirect' were served?
Why do you think redirects is a good idea at all?
Am I understand code properly and you spawn perl cgi script per each
file requested ?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
"Dmitry E. Oboukhov"

> Hi,

> After several iterations to solve problems related to Debian's mirrors
> network, I am happy to announce a fully-functional solution that solves many
> of the shortcomings of previous iterations: http://http.debian.net

> http.debian.net works as the key component of a content distribution
> network. For a given requested file, it uses several factors to choose one or
> multiple mirrors that can serve the request. Those factors include the
> freshness of the mirror, the network and geographic location, etc.

> How can you use it?
> An entry in /etc/apt/sources.list for stable would look like:

> deb http://http.debian.net/debian stable main

> It supports backports mirrors and others. Except CD image mirrors, they are
> *not* supported.

> More details, comparison to other approaches, and more information can be
> found at:
> http://http.debian.net/

> Oh, and, please help package and maintain mirrorbrain, which would allow a
> similar service to be provided for CD images.

> Thanks for reading.

> P.S. contrary to wheezy, http.debian.net's development will not freeze. It
> is under continuous development, and more users and developers are welcome!

I've tried to use the service. 2/3 requests - 501 error.
unusable.

--

. '`. Dmitry E. Oboukhov
: :’ : email: unera@debian.org jabber://UNera@uvw.ru

Old 06-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Raphael Geissert

Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> I've tried to use the service. 2/3 requests - 501 error.
> unusable.

The Geoip database in use lacked your subnet.
The one from June appears to have it, so I'll be updating it in a few hours.

Will also try to find a way to better deal with such cases.

Cheers,

Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Raphael Geissert

Darren Baginski wrote:>
> Is there other developer involved in development?

Yes

> Mind to share data how many 'redirect' were served?

Over 480k requests from APT clients. Not counting apt-cacher-ng and friends,
random users, or the couple of mirrors that "sync" from it.

> Why do you think redirects is a good idea at all?

Please refer to the website, the announcement on debian-mirrors and the
references.

> Am I understand code properly and you spawn perl cgi script per each
> file requested ?

The code is written as a CGI, for now. The live instance uses mod_perl.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Philipp Kern

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:55:56PM -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Will also try to find a way to better deal with such cases.

Maybe get the continent from the IANA to RIR allocation?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Raphael Geissert

Hi,

On Thursday 21 June 2012 23:03:34 shirish शिरीष wrote:
> > More details, comparison to other approaches, and more information can
> > be found at:
> > http://http.debian.net/
>
> I *think* it should be also beneficial for jigdo stuff as well.

Yes. Not sure how the downloader used by jigdo handles redirections, but it
should work nevertheless.

> There is one thing though, for some reason it takes much more
> bandwidth when updating the index then my previous way.
[...]
> Previously when I was using a single mirror, most of the time the diff
> between two runs was at the most 750 kB in the index update run. I can
> recall there is something call .pdiff which made it easier and smaller
> to have the index updated.

For some reason, there no longer are "pdiff"s for stable, so it has to
download the whole files on every update.

Unless the files really changed, the Last-Modified-Since headers should have
prevented the download. Will have to check if they are correctly preserved,
it might be that.

Cheers,

Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
shirish शिरीष

in-line :-

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi again,

> On Thursday 21 June 2012 23:03:34 shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> > More details, comparison to other approaches, and more information can
>> > be found at:
>> > http://http.debian.net/
>>
>> I *think* it should be also beneficial for jigdo stuff as well.
>
> Yes. Not sure how the downloader used by jigdo handles redirections, but it
> should work nevertheless.
>
>> There is one thing though, for some reason it takes much more
>> bandwidth when updating the index then my previous way.
> [...]
>> Previously when I was using a single mirror, most of the time the diff
>> between two runs was at the most 750 kB in the index update run. I can
>> recall there is something call .pdiff which made it easier and smaller
>> to have the index updated.
>
> For some reason, there no longer are "pdiff"s for stable, so it has to
> download the whole files on every update.

This seems to happen only via the re-director. For instance this is
from my second run with having a single server in
/etc/apt/sources.list :-

$ aptu
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable InRelease
Hit http://ftp.debian.org experimental InRelease
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing InRelease
Ign http://ftp.debian.org stable InRelease
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/contrib amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/non-free amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/contrib Translation-en/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Translation-en/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org unstable/non-free Translation-en/DiffIndex
Get: 1 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main amd64
Packages/DiffIndex [7,819 B]
Get: 2 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main
Translation-en/DiffIndex [7,819 B]
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib Translation-en/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Translation-en/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free Translation-en/DiffIndex
Get: 3 http://ftp.debian.org stable Release.gpg [1,672 B]
Get: 4 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main 2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff
[21.1 kB]
Get: 5 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main 2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff
[21.1 kB]
Get: 6 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main amd64
2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff [9,871 B]
Get: 7 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main 2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff
[277 B]
Get: 8 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main amd64
2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff [9,871 B]
Get: 9 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main amd64
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [759 B]
Get: 10 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [351 B]
Get: 11 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main 2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff
[30.0 kB]
Get: 12 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main 2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff
[277 B]
Get: 13 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main amd64
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [759 B]
Get: 14 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [351 B]
Get: 15 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main 2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff
[30.0 kB]
Get: 16 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [393 B]
Get: 17 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main amd64
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [47.3 kB]
Get: 18 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [393 B]
Get: 19 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main amd64
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [47.3 kB]
Get: 20 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free amd64
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [3,829 B]
Get: 21 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main 2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff
[1,459 B]
Get: 22 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free amd64
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [3,829 B]
Get: 23 http://ftp.debian.org testing/main 2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff
[1,459 B]
Get: 24 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [258 B]
Get: 25 http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free
2012-06-26-0215.13.pdiff [258 B]
Hit http://ftp.debian.org stable Release
Get: 26 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main amd64
2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff [701 B]
Get: 27 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main amd64
2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff [701 B]
Get: 28 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main
2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff [571 B]
Get: 29 http://ftp.debian.org experimental/main
2012-06-26-0815.36.pdiff [571 B]
Hit http://ftp.debian.org stable/main Sources
Hit http://ftp.debian.org stable/contrib Sources
Hit http://ftp.debian.org stable/non-free Sources
Hit http://ftp.debian.org stable/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://ftp.debian.org stable/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit http://ftp.debian.org stable/contrib amd64 Packages
Fetched 134 kB in 19s (6,898 B/s)

Current status: 200 updates [-131].

As can be seen pdiffs are generated if you use the same server.

> Unless the files really changed, the Last-Modified-Since headers should have
> prevented the download. Will have to check if they are correctly preserved,
> it might be that.

Please look into it.
> Cheers,
> --
> Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
> www.debian.org - get.debian.net

Thanx again for replying asap.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 AM
shirish शिरीष

at bottom :-

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> $ aptu

just for clarity aptu is an alias :-

$ alias aptu
alias aptu='sudo aptitude update;sleep 5;sudo aptitude safe-upgrade;
sleep 5; sudo apt-file update; sleep 5'