Old 06-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Wookey

Default Remote conferencing software (audio/video chat and broadcast)

+++ Tollef Fog Heen [2012-06-21 16:04 +0200]:
> ]] Russell Coker
>
> > What features does Google+ offer that you believe to be lacking in
> > free software packaged for Debian? What do you think is the easiest
> > way to fix this problem?
>
> Well-working multi-user video chats. I don't think we have any tool
> capable of multi-user video chats at all.

Having used hangouts to attend a conference recently and had endless
agravation trying, (not so much from the hangouts themselves, but all
the flash surrounding them and their results), but recognising that
this is a useful service/facility, I am keen to help work on
developing and testing a free solution.

Is there a debconf-video session that could be used for discussing the
wider problem of good remote-conferencing tech, or should we arrange
another session? Does anyone else care about this subject (I care but
am currently clueless).

> As for what the easiest way to fix the problem would be, I'm not sure,
> since I'm not an audio/video hacker. There does exist a
> proof-of-concept implementation for Telepathy, but it's very far from
> finished and production ready.

That sounds interesting as something to evaluate.

Wookey
--
Principal hats: Linaro, Emdebian, Wookware, Balloonboard, ARM
http://wookware.org/