FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Peter Eisentraut
 
Default Bug#475361: ITP: chkconfig -- system tool to enable or disable system services

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Peter Eisentraut <petere@debian.org>

* Package name : chkconfig
Version : 10.3-90
Upstream Author : Michael Schroeder <mls@suse.de>
* License : GPL
Programming Lang: Perl
Description : system tool to enable or disable system services

Chkconfig is a utility to update and query runlevel information for system
services. Chkconfig manipulates the numerous symbolic links in /etc/rc.d, to
relieve system administrators of some of the drudgery of manually editing the
symbolic links.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Michael Biebl
 
Default Bug#475361: ITP: chkconfig -- system tool to enable or disable system services

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Peter Eisentraut <petere@debian.org>
>
> * Package name : chkconfig
> Version : 10.3-90
> Upstream Author : Michael Schroeder <mls@suse.de>
> * License : GPL
> Programming Lang: Perl
> Description : system tool to enable or disable system services
>
> Chkconfig is a utility to update and query runlevel information for system
> services. Chkconfig manipulates the numerous symbolic links in /etc/rc.d, to
^^^^^^
There is no /etc/rc.d/ on Debian systems.

> relieve system administrators of some of the drudgery of manually editing the
> symbolic links.

What's the advantage over exisiting tools like sysv-rc-conf?

Cheers,
Michael

--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?
 
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
"Paul Wise"
 
Default Bug#475361: ITP: chkconfig -- system tool to enable or disable system services

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:

> > relieve system administrators of some of the drudgery of manually editing the
> > symbolic links.
>
> What's the advantage over exisiting tools like sysv-rc-conf?

Compatibility with the brains of people who have moved to Debian from
RedHat and other RPM distros. I certainly missed it after 6 months of
administrating RedHat machines and moving back to Debian.

An /sbin/service compatibility script would be useful too.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Sune Vuorela
 
Default Bug#475361: ITP: chkconfig -- system tool to enable or disable system services

On 2008-04-10, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> > relieve system administrators of some of the drudgery of manually editing the
>> > symbolic links.
>>
>> What's the advantage over exisiting tools like sysv-rc-conf?
>
> Compatibility with the brains of people who have moved to Debian from
> RedHat and other RPM distros. I certainly missed it after 6 months of
> administrating RedHat machines and moving back to Debian.
>
> An /sbin/service compatibility script would be useful too.

#! /bin/sh

/etc/init.d/$1 $2

there you go with your /sbin/service script.

/Sune


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
"Paul Wise"
 
Default Bug#475361: ITP: chkconfig -- system tool to enable or disable system services

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:

> > An /sbin/service compatibility script would be useful too.
>
> #! /bin/sh
>
> /etc/init.d/$1 $2
>
> there you go with your /sbin/service script.

Close.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Michael Biebl
 
Default Bug#475361: ITP: chkconfig -- system tool to enable or disable system services

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2008 schrieb Michael Biebl:
>> What's the advantage over exisiting tools like sysv-rc-conf?
>
> 1. chkconfig works solely on the command line.

sysv-rc-conf has both a command line interface and a ncurses based
interface.
I don't see, why command-line only should be an advantage.

>
> 2. sysv-rc-conf is mostly unmaintained and broken for some (of my) practical
> uses.

Do you have any references (e.g. bug numbers). sysv-rc-conf seems to
work fine for me.

>
> 3. chkconfig is simpler and more convenient.

Could you elaborate on that.

sysv-rc-conf $service on|off

is very convenient and I'm not sure if it can be made any simpler.

> 4. chkconfig is well known for users coming from Red Hat and SUSE.

ok.

>
> 5. chkconfig works well with the new insserv.

Could you elaborate on that? What's the problem with sysv-rc-conf and
insserv?

Cheers,
Michael

--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?
 
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Russ Allbery
 
Default Bug#475361: ITP: chkconfig -- system tool to enable or disable system services

Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:

> #! /bin/sh
>
> /etc/init.d/$1 $2
>
> there you go with your /sbin/service script.

/sbin/service on Red Hat also sanitizes the environment, which I've found
very useful on occasion. (And does so slightly more intelligently than
env -, I think.)

--
Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org) <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Michael Biebl
 
Default Bug#475361: ITP: chkconfig -- system tool to enable or disable system services

Osamu Aoki wrote:

>>
>>> 5. chkconfig works well with the new insserv.
>> Could you elaborate on that? What's the problem with sysv-rc-conf and
>> insserv?
>
> Really, I do not use neither but when I was updating Debian Reference
> for newbie, I thought such tool should help. There were more oroblem
> using it for me. I use mc for such task when I feel lazy on typing.
>
> Osamu
>

I don't have any objections against chkconfig being packaged for Debian.
I simply wanted to know, why Peter considers it superiour to other
alternatives and if I should reconsider using sysv-rc-conf (which I have
used and recommended to others up until now).

If insserv is really enabled by default for lenny, and chkconfig is the
only tool working properly with insserv, then we should recommend
chkconfig over other tools.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org