Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM
"Adam D. Barratt"

Default On the (ab)use of the Urgency field

Hi,

I realise everyone's waiting for news of the freeze (we're working on
it...) but please bear in mind that this is not an appropriate use of
the Urgency field:

* Urgency high to beat the freeze.

As mentioned in the last mail we sent to d-d-a (and several at various
points before that) if you have serious concerns that important updates
to your package won't be included in the release, the correct approach
is to talk to us, not try and work around us. The net effect of the
above is more likely to be that the urgency will be overriden on the
britney side as if the package had been uploaded with a lower urgency.

Regards,

Adam

Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
marcel partap

[
> net effect of the above is more likely to be that the urgency will be
> overriden on the britney side
... ?hmm? debian has a britney side? long blondish hair, well curved?
niccce - *niicccce*---
*cough* freezes suck^^^ ]
#hacky day folks

Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Ian Jackson

Adam D. Barratt writes ("On the (ab)use of the Urgency field"):
> I realise everyone's waiting for news of the freeze (we're working on
> it...) but please bear in mind that this is not an appropriate use of
> the Urgency field:
>
> * Urgency high to beat the freeze.
>
> As mentioned in the last mail we sent to d-d-a (and several at various
> points before that) if you have serious concerns that important updates
> to your package won't be included in the release, the correct approach
> is to talk to us, not try and work around us. The net effect of the
> above is more likely to be that the urgency will be overriden on the
> britney side as if the package had been uploaded with a lower urgency.

On previous occasions the release team have said that the freeze would
be applied with respect to the /upload/ date, rather than the
/migration/ date. Ie, packages uploaded before the freeze might
migrate afterwards unhindered, provided the other usual criteria were
satisfied.

Is this still the case ? If so then this kind of abuse of the Urgency
field is not just inappropriate but also pointless.

It would be nice if some of this kind of thing were documented in the
Developers' Reference or perhaps on the RM webpages.

Thanks,
Ian.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Neil Williams

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:19:43 +0200
marcel partap <mpartap@gmx.net> wrote:

> [
> > net effect of the above is more likely to be that the urgency will be
> > overriden on the britney side
> ... ?hmm? debian has a britney side? long blondish hair, well curved?
> niccce - *niicccce*---
> *cough* freezes suck^^^ ]
> #hacky day folks

This kind of behaviour is obnoxious, sexist and repulsive. An apology on
list is warranted and expected. If not, feel free not to bother with any
involvement with Debian in the future. Debian is a diverse group, all
of whom deserve your respect.

"No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you: we
welcome you. We welcome contributions from everyone as long as they
interact constructively with our community."
http://www.debian.org/intro/diversity

Your comments above are destructive, not constructive.

http://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Neil McGovern

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:08:53PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> As mentioned in the last mail we sent to d-d-a (and several at
> various points before that) if you have serious concerns that
> important updates to your package won't be included in the release,
> the correct approach is to talk to us, not try and work around us.
> The net effect of the above is more likely to be that the urgency
> will be overriden on the britney side as if the package had been
> uploaded with a lower urgency.

For information, I've added some more age-days 10 hints today. If you
need a higher urgency, please mention why in the changelog.

Otherwise I have to go through every bug you mention in it, and when I
don't see anything that looks like it justifies a higher urgency, I'm
having to assume it was uploaded with that urgency in error.

Thanks,
Neil