Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Stephen Hemminger

Default Why is irqbalance package so out of date?

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 01:53:02 +0100
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 08:54 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > Irqbalance project has moved to http://code.google.com/p/irqbalance/
> > The current Debian package is back at 0.56 (over 2yrs old)
> > and upstream is now at version 1.0.3
>
> As someone else pointed out, it would help if the maintainers got their
> act together and made irqbalance.org point to this. It's not as if
> they're unassociated with the owner of that domain.
>
> Aside from that, Anibal might appreciate a co-maintainer, and I know you
> were wanting to get more involved in Debian development. :-)

I will be happy to get involved; upstream irqbalance is on my list
of things that are broken and needs to be fixed. Will try and get a hold
of past contributors to figure out what is happening. I know there was
talk of fixing it and integrating Holger's irqd logic.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> I will be happy to get involved; upstream irqbalance is on my list
> of things that are broken and needs to be fixed. Will try and get a hold

Could you elaborate on this?

> of past contributors to figure out what is happening. I know there was
> talk of fixing it and integrating Holger's irqd logic.

Don't cache topology and sibling relationship also play a role on maximum
PPS throughput NIC interrupt routing when assigning interrupts to proper
multiqueue NICs? Especially when Intel DCA is enabled?

Although trying to route the packet while it is still cache-hot might as
well be a pipe dream...

Henrique Holschuh

Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Stephen Hemminger

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 23:56:18 -0300
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > I will be happy to get involved; upstream irqbalance is on my list
> > of things that are broken and needs to be fixed. Will try and get a hold
>
> Could you elaborate on this?
>
> > of past contributors to figure out what is happening. I know there was
> > talk of fixing it and integrating Holger's irqd logic.
>
> Don't cache topology and sibling relationship also play a role on maximum
> PPS throughput NIC interrupt routing when assigning interrupts to proper
> multiqueue NICs? Especially when Intel DCA is enabled?
>
> Although trying to route the packet while it is still cache-hot might as
> well be a pipe dream...

I haven't looked in detail at current version. But the older versions had
dynamic policy and depended on making assumptions about which device had
which irq (by looking at /proc/interrupts), and polling for network activity.
What it was trying to do might have been a good idea in old i386 days but
was getting horribly confused with all the types of multiqueue drivers etc.

The ideal program would be state driven, handle power management (use less
cores when not busy), and be dynamically user configurable, and solve world
hunger...