Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Andrew Shadura

Default ifupdown's changed hook handling breaks other packages.

Hello,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:23:25 +0200
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le samedi 16 juin 2012 à 19:38 +0200, Andrew Shadura a écrit :
> > Also, it's network-manager who tries to be a replacement somehow
> > compatible with ifupdown, not vice versa, so NM maintainers should
> > take care of their package to do things are they're supposed to be
> > done in a compatible way.

> NM is not compatible with ifupdown and does not try to be.
> This is *precisely* why the /e/n/i lines are commented out by
> nm.postinst.

When I say 'compatible' I don't mean NM supports everything ifupdown
does (which it certainly doesn't and doesn't try to), I mean it is
compatible in that it at least doesn't break ifupdown.

> It sounds to me that you have broken this behavior on purpose, where
> you could instead have added an interface to make disabling an
> interface more convenient than sed hackery (as mandated by policy).

No. Also I'd like to remind you that this sed hackery has already been
done by NM maintainers without much discussions on how to make it
better.

--
WBR, Andrew

Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:36:48AM +0200, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> > It sounds to me that you have broken this behavior on purpose, where
> > you could instead have added an interface to make disabling an
> > interface more convenient than sed hackery (as mandated by policy).
>
> No. Also I'd like to remind you that this sed hackery has already been
> done by NM maintainers without much discussions on how to make it
> better.

Let's stop the mutual accusation part of this thread.

To avoid similar issues to arise again in the future, I wonder, would it
be feasible to implement something like Joss mentioned, i.e. some sort
of ifupdown blessed mechanism to enable/disable interfaces? The need of
doing so exists, NM is an example of that. Enabling people to do so
without _having_ to rely on text file fiddling would be an improvement
over the status quo.

(Arguably, this part of the discussion {c,s}ould be moved to the BTS.)

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} . o .
Maître de conférences ...... http://upsilon.cc/zack ...... . . o

Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Andrew Shadura

Hello,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:53:49 +0200
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> Let's stop the mutual accusation part of this thread.

P.S. Didn't mean to make anybody upset; I was a little bit tired back
then, and I'm sorry that affected the way of me communicating with
people.

--
WBR, Andrew