Old 05-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Andreas Tille

Default May be ITP: mime-support-extra to close #658139 (Was: Breaking programs because a not yet implemented solution exists in theory)

Hi,

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:16:08PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I'm also not seeing GNOME applications as file type handlers in
> Akregator (KDE application). So I'm not sure this is even 'just' a
> problem for text-mode applications.

I have no idea whether the solution proposed below could help here: I
just injected

svn://svn.debian.org/collab-maint/deb-maint/mime-support-extra

which would bring back mime support for evince for all applications I'm
using. (I was too bored to always update a local evince package which
works.) It is *very* simple and does not implement all those nifty
suggestions given here but not yet implemented.

I see two options to go from here:

1. I just keep this package as a private solution.
2. I upload the package to unstable by
a) issuing a new ITP
b) turning #658139 into ITP: mime-support-extra

I have no idea what makes the best sense and whether ftpmaster would
accept such a package (I'm not even sure whether I in the position of
ftpmaster would accept this). I'd regard it as a too simple but helpful
workaround for a problem which should be solved differently.

In any case the idea is to collect issues of broken mime support where
maintainers are unable / not willing to respect Debian policy 9.7.
Adding more entries is simple: Just add the according mime file as
<pkg>.mime and add <pkg> to "Enhances" in debian/control.

What do you think?

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Michael Biebl

On 31.05.2012 21:35, Andreas Tille wrote:

> In any case the idea is to collect issues of broken mime support where
> maintainers are unable / not willing to respect Debian policy 9.7.
> Adding more entries is simple: Just add the according mime file as
> <pkg>.mime and add <pkg> to "Enhances" in debian/control.

I don't think adding such a package is a good idea. It's just an ugly
work-around.

In http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=497779 there is
already a patch by brian m. carlson. Any effort regarding this issue
should be spent getting this patch ready and applied to mime-support.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Michael Biebl

Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Andreas Tille

Hi,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:56:50PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 31.05.2012 21:35, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > In any case the idea is to collect issues of broken mime support where
> > maintainers are unable / not willing to respect Debian policy 9.7.
> > Adding more entries is simple: Just add the according mime file as
> > <pkg>.mime and add <pkg> to "Enhances" in debian/control.
>
> I don't think adding such a package is a good idea. It's just an ugly
> work-around.

Fully ACK. That's why the first of the option what could be done was to
leave it as local package and do not upload it officially.

> In http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=497779 there is
> already a patch by brian m. carlson. Any effort regarding this issue
> should be spent getting this patch ready and applied to mime-support.

I would consider the severity of this bug to low considering that
several applications are broken if we will not fix this problem before
the next stable release. Is there anything which prevents an upload of
this fix? If there would be no soonish upload I'd consider increasing
the severity to make sure it will not be forgotten somehow.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de