Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Philip Ashmore

Default Debian documentation permalinks

Hi there.

First, here's what I'm talking about -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permalink
Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't offer permalinks itself, so hopefully
the above

link won't "rot".

This was initially in reference to the recent spat of comments/opinions to
"Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useful".

It's sometimes amusing to watch as helpful enthusiasts try to unravel a
problem.
I nearly deleted the entire thread without giving it a moments thought -
I get

a lot of message list email.

What I noticed by its absence was that no-one linked to official Debian
policy

detailing the choices made and their justification.

Then it struck me that if such a document existed, it would be subject
to change

as Debian policy itself evolved, making any old links nonsensical or
misleading.

So what I'm requesting is that Debian documentation be "permalink
friendly" i.e.

that Debian documentation pages provide permalinks.

It would be even better if they also mentioned the version(s) of Debian they
apply to.

This could be done using the "wayback machine" - here's an interesting
example.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Using_the_Wayback_Machine

From this it's possible to specify a permalink URL even to sites without
duplicated, so this isn't an ideal solution.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore

Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Jonathan Callen

On 05/25/2012 10:03 PM, Philip Ashmore wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> First, here's what I'm talking about -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permalink
> Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't offer permalinks itself, so
> hopefully the above link won't "rot".

And here's the permalink to the above article, as it was when the
preceding post was made:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Permalink&oldid=483438630
Or, if you prefer links that don't indicate where they're really going:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=483438630

Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Philip Ashmore

On 05/26/2012 06:53 AM, Jonathan Callen wrote:
> On 05/25/2012 10:03 PM, Philip Ashmore wrote:
>> Hi there.
>>
>> First, here's what I'm talking about -
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permalink
>> Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't offer permalinks itself, so
>> hopefully the above link won't "rot".
>
> And here's the permalink to the above article, as it was when the
> preceding post was made:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Permalink&oldid=483438630
> Or, if you prefer links that don't indicate where they're really going:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=483438630

I'm happy and sad with this.
Happy that Wikipedia provides permalink support.
Sad that it didn't document it in its article about permalinks.

Is there documentation on this feature somewhere?

compelling argument for moving Debian documentation to MediaWiki.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore

Sat May 26 22:30:02 2012
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:content-type;
bh=y2jlwdyhg8z7PYROTem2GObdIUCuE2jkpYCjeSw/+fo=;
b=a5VM2bTUXwU5+jFQov3yu+Kz/AUD6jtp96YgMCIX/jJEsjZQPEyqLVWj36cSK9j/a/
ztn/feyUMOtY4bA1cKkUEkHZiJ2MXxt/mHAdUiy6TayTHDA7RBL/VDl1dGn76mAeyAWB
0SwnXSMv4VkGaoSPF0Tc7EWNh748E99ScGN/FwbAB83r1nEnfoYc8CcUy8S86qhwVhn0
EH7zKHKmjA/uoe7LzhVUFfbT+UpIuxgTq/5gwTnb6rdRgAt1GZ6C6F8P0pyQifGCXHgy
zlavqehte2hsb4B7jAeyVa9QGmJw+fxKK1bUnBz00OjNoUfdsa hsBQuAPqqPTksQ38Fk
+XDA==